We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to London

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cooperstown NY
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Train to London

Just wondering what is the best train service to London from Waverely (standard class 1 person) I've checked out websites

and they want you to fill out a form with a password. I just want a

price for now, and buy the ticket there.Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to London

Hello, bribeck. You can go to this site and input your options in the Journey Planner.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

When your results come back, you can click on 'Get Fare Options' and see prices without having to go through a registration process.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to London

bribeck

The direct route is with GNER - you can check times and prices on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ without entering a password (that annoys me too!). You can also buy online through this site.

If you book well in advance you can get King's Cross to Edinburgh singles for as little as £12 I think, a very good deal. The journey is good as well - you get great views of Durham (inc Durham Cathedral) and the north east coast and the north sea. Takes on average about 4 hours, depending on the number of stops you take.

You can also take a Virgin train up the west coast and through Glasgow, I think, but I've never done that route (and wouldn't recommend it as you'll be going west to come back east again).

have a good one

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to London

It's £12.50 minimum but only if you book through the GNER website, otherwise it's £14.

BTW the booking engine HAS to have a UK postcode when you register - even if you are going to pick up the tickets using fastticket - but it doesn't matter which one as long as it's valid.

Other options BTW are Virgintrains down the west coast (pretty boring views) or the firstscotrail sleeper service whose bargain berths can be as little as £19

Cooperstown NY
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to London

Thak you very much for all your help!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to London

Bribeck - Hi there - I'm originally from the US but have lived near Edinburgh for 3 years now. To answer the question the fares will vary from £15 to £200. Buying on the day will be pricy and it's best to purcahse in advance if you can. I hated signing up with the website but you need to in order to get pricing. The main trains to Scotland are: GNER, Virgin, and First Scotrail which offer a "sleeper" service. If you buy on the day you are looking at about £60 one way by my estimates.

Hope that helps.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to London

If you book on the day then you are looking at about £100 one way - booking the day before however can SUBSTANTIALLY reduce that cost.

For example booking now (17:25 UK time) for a train at 10:10 tomorrow morning gives a price of £28.50 one way, admittedly it's on Virgin but beggars can't be choosers

And to reiterate, if you just want to find the prices use www.nationalrail.co.uk and if you are going to travel with GNER buy the ticket on their website & you may get 10% off

Cooperstown NY
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to London

Thanks everybody!

2 1/2 months to go.

I guess I'll buy my ticket on line. Sounds like the best deal.

Cooperstown NY
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to London

Help!

I've been trying to buy my ticket from NGER and fails everytime.

I put in a scotland postcode (even though I'm doing fast ticket)

it will not work. They say that when I use the credit card at waverley

to pick up the ticket it has to mach my billing address at home in the states.

Do you have to live in the UK to buy these tickets?

Cooperstown NY
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to London

Can the ticket be bought on the phone?

Brunswick, Georgia
Level Contributor
137 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to London

Bribeck,

I purchased my Edinburgh Waverly to London Kings Cross tickets from GNER over the phone. For two one way tickets I paid $95.00. I chose to pick them up at the Bath Spa train station. Hope this helps.