We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap holiday destinations?

sydney
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cheap holiday destinations?

Can you please help me with any advice on where a cheap holiday destination would be from Edinburgh, for say 4-6 nights? Somewhere in europe maybe? Are there good websites to checkout with specials say for flights & hotels? Will be travelling with 2 small children.

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,866 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap holiday destinations?

you should be able to get cheap flights to Amsterdam and Prague from Edinburgh.I am off to Prague in May (again.)Cheap flights to Dublin are usually avilable but it's a bit more expensive once you are there.

The Superfast ferry to Zeebbruger might also be an option.

www.jet2.com

www.superfast.com

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap holiday destinations?

Look at

http://www.flyglobespan.com

for cheapish flights to various places.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap holiday destinations?

Also have a look at Easyjet as starting soon they will be flying from Edinburgh to Geneva, Madrid, Milan, Munich, Palma and Alicante. You can pick up some real bargains if you book early.

sydney
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap holiday destinations?

Thanks for all your suggestions - I'll have to research all the websites you mentioned.

Thanks!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap holiday destinations?

Take a look at Malta - We thoroughy enjoyed our time there and it was a bargain.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,176 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap holiday destinations?

Unfortunately, there are no direct flights from Edinburgh to Malta.

European destinations direct from EDI would be:-

Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Prague, Frankfurt, Madrid, Palma, Alicante, Pula, Dublin, Rome, Warsaw, Faro, Copenhagen, Malaga, Jersey, Hamburg, Cork, and your choice of UK destinations.

Probably missed a couple out by my choice would be Warsaw, Madrid, Amsterdam or Rome.

The main airlines are

www.globespan.com

www.ryanair.com

www.easyjet.com

www.ba.com

You can also check Edinburgh Airport's web site which gives details of destinations and airlines

www.edinburghairport.com

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap holiday destinations?

Providing you could manage to make it from Glasgow QS to Central

in 25mins (it's a 10min walk) you could get from Waverley to Prestwick Airport in 2 hours which opens up the Ryan Air destinations (Krakow the one that appeals to me most). I think with a Ryan Air ticket you get half price train travel from anywhere in Scotland or at least you used to.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheap holiday destinations?

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Fife, or Ayr.

One thing to be aware of is that much of mainland Europe is in the Schengen area, the UK and Ireland isn't - entry visa requirements differ and entry to the UK does not give right of entry to Schengen area countries.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheap holiday destinations?

Agree with Bobelinks..

The original post only mentioned Europe as a maybe.

Most cheap package deals would be for a week minimum, and if you go for the cheap Ryanair / Easyjest flights once you add the cost of accomodation for a family of 4, it might not be that cheap after all.

So maybe somewhere in Scotland or the UK in general is more what they are after, like those Haven caravan parks maybe? or Centerparcs?

by the way Bobelinks, excuse my ignorance, but this Shengen thing...?

I've never heard of it. Is it more an issue if you are coming into the UK from outside the EU ?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheap holiday destinations?

Requirements for visas differ depending on the traveller's nationality and point of origin, but it should not be assumed that entry into the UK is the same as entry into the EU. The Schengen countries have a common visa and entry system, entirely separate from the UK.