We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,120 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

We saw them from the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow, after we left Falkirk high, so it couldn't be too far. Would Falkirk Grahamston be closer? Is it a bad walk through industrial areas or a nice walk through neighborhoods. We don't mind walking a couple of miles.

Or would it be better to get ourselves to the Falkirk wheel and then rent bikes to ride to the Kelpies? Is there a bike path along the canal? I believe I saw mention of that somewhere, maybe on the Helix website, along with a bike hire place near the Wheel. But I always like to ask for local knowledge and tips. We will be coming from Glasgow. Thanks!

Edited: 23 May 2014, 18:24
11 replies to this topic
Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,120 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

Anyone?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

Hi!

I am not particularly familiar with the area, but Google maps says 1.4 miles from Grahamston station to The Helix, where the Kelpies are. Just type in the station and the helix. I tried to post the link but it looks a bit strange.

If you go to www.thehelix.co.uk and select the tab 'things to do' that gives details of the cycling tracks.

Hope this helps.

Emelda

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,120 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

Thank you! We can certainly walk the 1.4 miles, but I will have. Look at the cycle path too.

Falkirk
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

Coming from Glasgow you're likely to get the fast Edinburgh-Glasgow line, so would get off at Falkirk High Station. That's a good 2-3 mile walk, and not that scenic. I'd get a taxi either to the Helix or the Falkirk Wheel.

Falkirk Grahamston Station is on the Edinburgh/Stirling/Dunblane line and that is about 1.5 miles, but again, not that scenic a walk (Retail Park, Housing and industrial depending on which way you go). If you are walking, it would make it a bit further, but walk down Grahams Road for about 0.5 miles and then join the canal. You can then walk the canal down to the Helix.

If you hire a bike you could cycle up the canal to the Falkirk Wheel....pleasant cycle...and then taxi back to the station.

Bus is another alternative than taxis, but not sure frequency.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

The original question was asked a year ago - I'm guessing they've been and gone.

USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

well ddooste your post help me thanks

Edited: 29 May 2015, 22:53
Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

Falkirk Grahamston is a lot closer . It would be about a mile and a half to walk . Turn left from the station , go along Grahams Road until you reach the traffic lights and turn right . It 's a straight road along Dalderse Avenue and Etna Road to the Kelpies. A bike ride from the Falkirk Wheel would be a much nicer journey

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

For the record... We visited this week. The hop on/off bus to the Falkirk sights is no longer running due to cost cuts. Bus #3 hits the wheel and the helix park (kelpies are on the north side of park) use Falkirk Grahamston station as its conveniently located in city not far from bus station.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

We walked to the Kelpies from the Falkirk High Station and it was a very long walk (about 3 miles) with nothing of interest to see (housing, industrial as mentioned previously) once past Callendar House and Antoine Wall marker until in the Helix Park area on walking / cycling trails. I would look into bikes. We didn't see any taxis out that way to return.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How far are the Kelpies from the train station?

Getting back from the Kelpies can be a problem if you don't have a car . There isn't a taxi rank there but you could phone a local taxi service such as Polmont taxis on 01324-883305 for a transfer back to the town

Reply to: How far are the Kelpies from the train station?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Falkirk