We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advise: travel from edinburgh to elie

st.paul,mn
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
need advise: travel from edinburgh to elie

i need information on options for transportation from edinburgh airport to elie. it will be my husband, me and his 80 year old parents with all our luggage. we will not be renting a car this time. any resources and approximate idea of cost would be greatly appreciated. thank you very much!!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need advise: travel from edinburgh to elie

Hi

I guess your choices are:

> taxi or car with driver from airport direct (easiest and dearest) it is about an hours drive from Edinburgh to Elie

> getting to edinburgh train station (by taxi or airport bus) and getting the train to leuchars which is near St Andrews and then getting another taxi to Elie.

>There are also buses from Edinburgh - but I'm not sure how handy they are.

The fife tourist board website gives links for all the options - www.standrews.co.uk/travel.htm - I'm sure

sorry - I don't know how much it would cost to get to elie by taxi - maybe someone else does. One possible advantage of the train would be that there seem to be problems with traffic over the Forth road bridge at the moment sothere can be delays.

Have a good trip - Elie is lovely.

Edinburgh Scotland
Level Contributor
186 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need advise: travel from edinburgh to elie

From the airport take the airport shuttle double decker bus to the last stop at Waverly Bridge which is in the centre of town just of princes street then go to Tourist information on the Waverly Bridge and ask for bus and train timetables to Elie both bus and train stations are within easy reach of this location at Waverly Bridge do not waste any money on Taxis..

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need advise: travel from edinburgh to elie

I think I might consider a taxi the whole way if I had 2 x 80 year olds plus luggage with me. OK its going to be expensive but soooo much easier. Plus you need to pay 4 times the airport bus to town then add on the cost of a taxi from Leuchars station to Elie, so its just the difference to pay. Its about a 40 mile trip by taxi but I'm afraid I dont know what that would cost. I'd guess about 50 pounds but might be way out.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need advise: travel from edinburgh to elie

Startattoo (and Birdie)

There is now a shuttle bus running from Edinburgh Airport to Inverkeithing Rail Station every half hour. It also stops at the Ferry Toll park and ride.

Trains running up the Fife coast stop at Inverkeithing.

Return fare for adults is about 7.50 GBP.

It is aptly numbered the 747.

Travel time to Inverkeithing is about 25 minutes depending on Forth Birdge traffic

5. Re: need advise: travel from edinburgh to elie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Fife