We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doable in one day?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Doable in one day?

We plan to do this trip in one day during our stay in Scotland. Chapel of Barras to EDI, with stops along the way at St. Andrews Cathedral, Crail, Earlsferry, Falkland Palace and Garden then on to EDI. If there is time we might stop at Dunfermline Abbey, but we will have another chance to see Dunfermline later. Please advise. Here's the route:

https://goo.gl/maps/5x8e4

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doable in one day?

You don't say either when you plan to leave in the morning or what time you need to be at EDI, which makes it pretty difficult to answer. As long as you start early, don't need to get to EDI until the evening, and don't dawdle too long in any one of those spots, it's do-able but rushed. But if you plan to set off at 1000 and need to be at EDI by 1600, all you will do is drive the route without stopping.

As ever, Google's estimate of driving time at 4h40m is a bit on the optimistic side, and of course, you need to add in time spent in the various locations. An hour would be optimistic for either St Andrews (even cathedral only - most visitors I take there spend several hours in the town) or Falkland Palace. If all you want is to see what Crail and Earlsferry are like, half an hour will give you some idea, but both are places you can spend weeks in just relaxing. And that says nothing about all the interesting and attractive places you will drive by.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doable in one day?

Sorry.

Leaving in the morning, probably at about 0800 from Chapel of Barras. Need to be to EDI by the time the rental car place closes....dropping the car off there then taking the Airlink into Edinburgh to spend three days there....not catching a flight at EDI, just have to drop off car there.

Your comments echo my frustrations. We have only 17 days in Scotland....we couldn't do everything and I suspect that I am STILL trying to do too much.

Thanks.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 22:10
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doable in one day?

Hi. It's sensible to be dropping off your rebral car at EDI, very good plan! Most car rental places at EDI are open until 2300. However places like falkland palace and Dunfermline Abbey will be closed by 5 (or earlier, depending on the time of year). Falkland palace is wonderful! Enjoy.

Abs :)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doable in one day?

you don't mention when you will be wanting to try this?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doable in one day?

@Lesley 1888: In June.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doable in one day?

Well its ambitious, but doable, personally I wouldn't try it as I don't think you will get to appreciate the places you are wanting to see. As mentioned in previous posts the drive itself is likely to be more than the time given on google maps. A good site to use nearer the time for traffic issues is,

http://www.trafficscotland.org/

Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope you enjoy our wonderful heritage and scenery.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doable in one day?

@Lesley1888: Which of the things I've listed on that itinerary would you suggest we omit in order to maximize the quality of that day's sightseeing? I'd appreciate your help with prioritizing....

Thanks in advance.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doable in one day?

hi- apologies for the delay- had a weekend of in-laws..........can I ask where you are staying before you head south?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doable in one day?

@Lesley: We are staying at a B&B in Chapel of Barras. I think that the latter (below) is a fairly accurate map of the planned route:

https://goo.gl/maps/t46hh

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doable in one day?

In that case I reckon you are good up until Dunfermline, and you mentioned you could wait and o that another day anyway. Your drive to St Andrews itself is going to take over an hour and you don't want to just walk round and back out again, its a beautiful place without even starting on the Cathedral. As mentioned in another post it will also depend on what time your car hire place closed as getting over the Forth bridge and out to the airport won't be a quick drive either.