We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
661 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

We have a regrettably short day that we have dedicated to visiting the areas around Saint Andrews in June. We hope to visit Saint Andrews, Falkland Palace, and the villages along the Neuk of Fife. My question....given our limited time, is there one or two of the villages that are considered the most picturesque? My initial impression has been that Crail and Pittenweem might fit the bill, but I'd appreciate the opinions of those of you who are familiar with the area.

I'd consider scratching Falkland Palace and Gardens entirely if you folks thought Saint Andrews and the villages would make the best day of it.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 18:45
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

What do you hope to get out of the day?

Do you prefer towns, villages, stately homes, or what?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
661 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

@peterscot: I'm not sure I know the difference between a town and a village. I would prefer to see a seaside fishing village to a palace...which is why I mentioned that Falkland Palace might be omitted if it would be impractical to try to see it AND the villages. My wife, on the other hand, would probably prefer the palace. Visiting Saint Andrews Cathedral is probably a must for us. It is very hard knowing and sharing what I'd prefer to see in a place I've never been....This issue comes up repeatedly when I ask for advice on these forums. I know you're just trying to provide pertinent advice.

Having never been to a place that you may never have a chance to re-visit, you want to see everything possible. However, you have little to go on in order to prioritize items in your itinerary except the opinions of others....whether they are solicited as here, or in blogs and reviews elsewhere. Undiscovered Scotland is wonderful, but I can't get a feel for what is "best" from a site like that.

Regarding "picturesque", I am sure that I will find more things I will want to shoot (I am a hobbyist photographer) in the fishing villages than in or around a palace.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 19:27
Maryland
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

Crail is lovely, a couple of nice pubs for a meal, mostly older cottages and nice shoreline to enjoy. Nearby is Kellie Castle, a furnished and restored fairy tail baronial style castle for an interesting tour of 16th and 17th century life and the history of the family. But that is not to dismiss Pittenweem, which also has lovely aspects as well.

Cheers,

Sunny

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

Simply put, a village in that area will typically have up to a couple of thousand inhabitants but often fewer, whereas a town will have several thousand upwards.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

Pittenweem is surprisingly lovely.....I say surprisingly because I am from St.Andrews and would have said Crail or Anstruther were better but having visited Pittenweem a couple of years ago with friends from America I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think you would be disappointed whichever one you choose. If you end up in Anstruther and are looking to eat lunch I can highly recommend the Dreel Tavern about 7 minutes walk from the harbour, excellent food , lovely atmosphere and good service.

Don't miss Falkland Palace, it's exceptional as is the conservation village of Falkland in which it sits. St.Andrews is amazing too and very walkable but then I'm biased!! Sorry I'm not being much help because I can easily tell you what you must see but telling you what to leave out is much more challenging....sorry!!

Woody x

Virginia
Level Contributor
917 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

My experience in this region comes from two visits that were primarily for golf. One trip was with four couples, so we did a little more sightseeing, one was for 8 men, and we did nearly none. I visited both Anstruther and Elie, and both are lovely. Of the two, I'd recommend Anstruther, it seemed to me to be a little larger, with more opportunities to explore. Something else you (or more likely your wife) might enjoy are the gardens at Cambo EState.

http://www.camboestate.com/gardens/

I can't compare it to any other gardens, but it has the advantage of being on the road between St. Andrews and Crail. The most important thing to remember is to enjoy the things you DO get to do, not to worry about what you might miss. You really can't go wrong in that part of the world.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

Can now give you a link to The Dreel Tavern - excellent!

http://www.dreeltavern.com/

And if you haven't already seen it....

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/falkland/falkland/

Plus this is a driving tour which may be of use...

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/…

The population of Anstruther which is the largest of the East Neuk villages is approx 3,500 if that is of help.

Woody x

Edited: 30 April 2014, 21:57
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
661 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

Well, after reading all of your responses my wife and I have decided to prioritize Falkland Palace and the fishing villages along the Neuk of Fife. We will probably cruise through St. Andrews, but not spend much time there at all. This is the course we'll follow:

http://goo.gl/maps/Vyz9S

....leaving Chapel of Barras below Stonehaven by about 0930 (we hope). Falkland doesn't open until 1100. I'd prefer to be in the villages in the afternoon-early evening as that's probably the best light for photography that we will see (morning light won't be possible coming down from Chapel of Barras).

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
225 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

Hi, I chanced upon this thread as I am planning on visiting Scotland in June 2015. We are a senior couple and interested in staying in a small town or village for about 4 to 5 nights. Our interests are local food and culture of the place. Not interested in golf. We do a lot of walking on our trips. Could you recommend such a place? I guess there will be some homestays/ bed and breakfast places?

Thanks in advance for a reply

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most picturesque of the villages on the Neuk of Fife?

All the villages are picturesque but to get the best answers to your question please start a new thread (question) as tagging on to the end of someone else's won't get you the best number of responses.

Regards

Woody x

Get answers to your questions about Fife