We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Restaurant in Glenrothes or nearby??

scotland
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Nice Restaurant in Glenrothes or nearby??

we have one evening to fill before a wedding..want a good quality place near our hotel..any ideas???

Also..shopping centre in Glenrothes..should we go there OR is there anywhere else further afield?

6 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Restaurant in Glenrothes or nearby??

I suspect hotels are the best places to eat in Glenrothes. I ate some time ago at Balbirnie Hotel - fine dining in spectacular surroundings, and more recently at Balgeddie House Hotel - simpler and cheaper bistro type food, but also good.

Otherwise there are loads of places out and about in Fife.

I find shopping centres depressing places. Glenrothes seems to be a prime example, so I have never gone in. Better ask someone else.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Restaurant in Glenrothes or nearby??

I know what you mean about shopping centres, M_E! I have been inside the one at Glenrothes on several occasions, and it is typical of such disheartening places. However, one aspect is worthy of remark (and the reason for my visits). There is a good small concert hall (the Rothes Hall) adjacent, with (if I recall aright) common access through one of the entries. I've never needed to look for more than a cup of coffee in the shopping area, so I can't comment on its capacity to provide a good evening meal.

So, heblady, if there is an event on at the Rothes Hall that interests you, it could provide a pleasant way to spend that evening. See http://www.fifedirect.org/attFife

scotland
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Restaurant in Glenrothes or nearby??

Thanks for your reply both:-)

I only need the shops for a chemist..We have one night to eat out before the wedding ( In Balgonie Castle) arriving late afternoon..just looking for a bar supper or similar. Balgeddie looks like the place :-)

Edited: 01 July 2011, 16:07
Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Restaurant in Glenrothes or nearby??

As a resident in Glenrothes I'd go with Balbirnie hotel (markinch), or The Tipsy Niper (Fife airports) for that upmarket restaurant feel, but there are nice places to eat here as well

The town centre has had a lot of dedicated smal business shops close due to super power retail heavyweights such as morrisons, ASDA, Co-op, and now a Tesco on its way, make potential small businesses look elsewhere. I'd rather go to Dundee, or Edinburgh for shopping, or the Kirkcaldy High Street.

Glenrothes only has your typical shops. IE: Poundland, mobile contract shops, WHSmith, bakers, sports shop, brighthouse, banks,... Nothing really unique that stands out or is worth going down for compared to other places. The only thing I can think of is an art shop that sells paintings/frames/etc, or the Rothes Halls, which is a theater situated inside the centre

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Restaurant in Glenrothes or nearby??

Balgonie castle is a nice place to marry. Been here twice to watch weddings, and most people tend to stay at the Snooty Fox, or Balgeddie House Hotel, depending on the budget...

Have a look at The Well in Scotlandwell.. Nice quiet village bar, that does meals. Real cosy, and doesn't get in any rift raft whatsoever, so you're almost guranteed a a ncie peaceful night before the big day

scotland
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Restaurant in Glenrothes or nearby??

Mick..Thankyou :-)

We have no car with us... I think there is a wee pub called the something fox..that be fine for us as we are staying nearby.

Never been to this part of the world so looking forward to it and the train journey down AND if there is a WH Smith that be just fine for me LOL

Edited: 06 July 2011, 07:51
Reply to: Nice Restaurant in Glenrothes or nearby??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted