We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Player at St. Andrews & Carnoustie

Calif.
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Single Player at St. Andrews & Carnoustie

We are planning a trip to Great Britain & Ireland in the spring of '08. Its not a golfing trip but my husband would like to golf at St. Andrews if he could get on as a single. He knows about the ballot system and going early in the a.m. to the starter to see if he can be added to another group. Has anyone successfully done this? Any tips?

St Andrews
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Player at St. Andrews & Carnoustie

Single golfers cannot enter the ballot system. Majority of single golfers queue the day they wish to play as early a 4am. It is not a guarantee, but it does give a chance, as you will be coming in spring then the chances are higher for a single golfer to get on. Check the ballot results, which are drawn the day before play, this will give your husband an idea of the spaces available. This year the Links were allowing advanced bookings for single golfers in April(?). Maybe next year they will do the same?? You should contact them to find out more information.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Player at St. Andrews & Carnoustie

If you know your dates, call St. Andrews and ask for a tee time. My wife did this for my 40th b-day. But this may not work. You can call early, say July of this year. Check out their website. They do give tee times early for one golfer.

usa
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Player at St. Andrews & Carnoustie

Hello Sierra,

We just got back (on Saturday!!) from our Scotland trip and YES, my husband was able to play the Old Course as an early walk-on. He was at the starter at 6:15am and was on the course for a 7:20 tee time. Granted, it is 'early' in the season, but it can be done. He had the round of his life and shot a 74!! (He then shot an 85 at Dornoch 2 days later ... oh, well ....!) He also played the New Course and thought that course was wonderful as well. We checked out Kingsbarns (did not play) but my husband thought it really looked to be an outstanding course. I hope you love St. Andrew's as much as we did. I think my husband's phenomenal round set the tone for our entire trip (which I plan on reporting about as soon as I get a chance to really sit down with some time to do it justice.) Have fun planning!

Anne Marie

Indiana
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Player at St. Andrews & Carnoustie

I'm so happy your husband was able to play as a single!!

We are planning a trip for next year, and I've written and I've been told we can't reserve a tee time as a single at any of the links courses.

I know your husband had to wait in the morning at the old course to get a tee time, but did he need to do the same thing at the other courses he played?

Thanks for any help, and again, I'm so happy your trip went so well!

usa
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Player at St. Andrews & Carnoustie

HI~

My husband was able to walk on to The New Course and The Jubilee at St. Andrew's in the afternoon, he joined a twosome for the Jubilee and played alone on The New Course. We reserved a tee time in advance to play Dornoch, where they matched him up with a member and two other fellows. If you are over on the west coast and are able to play the Traigh Course, the 9 hole course on the 'Road to the Isles', it is absolutely beautiful! My husband took our teenage sons to play while I spent lots of time on the beach with our daughters. After ,we drove to Mallaig for a nice walk and a meal at the 'Tea Room' ... what a wonderful afternoon!

Enjoy planning!

Anne Marie

6. Re: Single Player at St. Andrews & Carnoustie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 16:18