We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids in St. Andrews

Canada
Level Contributor
488 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Kids in St. Andrews

We're going to Scotland next month and spending a day in St. Andrews. My daughters (10 and 7) and I are looking for something to do while my husband golfs. Any ideas? Also, we won't have a car; will we be able to rent a cab to get around?

scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids in St. Andrews

Craigtoun country park in St Andrews is good. It ahs lots of fun kids things like a boating pond, play areas, crazy golf, pets etc.

For more information of things to do in St Andrews you could go to

www.s1play.com/thingstodo

choose St Andrews from the drop down menu on the left hand side.

Hope this gives you some ideas

UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids in St. Andrews

The Sealife Centre is an excellent place to visit with young kids - if you time it right you'll see the seal feeding and you used to be able to 'pet' the Skate as well.

If the weather is good take them to play on the beach!

St Andrews if very compact, you should be able to walk everywhere you need to.

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids in St. Andrews

Is the putting course still there - remember being thrown off it for bad behaviour!! its a lot of fun

If the weathers half decent

sealife place

golf museum

putting course

shops to get picnic and buy kites

picnic on the beach

paddle

fish supper on way back

Superb - put me in the mood might do it myself this wekend

Scotland
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids in St. Andrews

Hi, welcome in advance to Scotland.

If you don't mind me saying, don't limit your visit soley to St. Andrews whilst your here. There is a train station nearby (Leuchars) which serves trains both to the north and south of St. Andrews. Dundee to the north will give you (MUM) a great shopping experience and the kids will love all the attractions around Dundee,my kids do.

To the south as you may well know is the rest of Fife and over the water is Edinburgh. You may want to hire a car to see the best of Fife and their people.

In any case hope your family have a wonderfull time over here, and your husband has a great golfing trip.

Kindest regards,

Paul Mooney.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids in St. Andrews

Hi

If the weather is warm and sunny, ice creams from Janettas are highly recommended. In the ccentre of town at 209 South Street - lovely traditional ice cream in a vast range of flavours.

Have a good trip

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
148 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids in St. Andrews

If youre only spending a day then I would recommend that you just wander about the town (v compact.)

The beaches (there are 3) are beautiful.... I would recommend going down to the harbour and east sands and walking the length of the pier (although be careful on the way back if you do decide to go up the ladder)

A wander around the town and the university grounds is nice and an icecream from janettas (south street) is an absolute must. The irn bru sorbet is legendary there.

Would also recommend playing on the 'himalayas' which is a putting green but with bumps and things, so its nearly crazy! Its good fun, and where the non serious golfers go to muck about, as well as serious golfers having a practice!

The castle is good and quite fun for children as it has tunnels!

7. Re: Kids in St. Andrews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2009, 17:17