We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anstruther's Fish Restaurant questions

Which St Andrews hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
huntington beach
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anstruther's Fish Restaurant questions

Just reading through the forum...a favorite pastime of mine...and I gathered that Anstruther's Fish Restaurant is must do. My sister and I are taking my daughter to the University of St. Andrews the end of September. We are not hiring a car. Been there done that...the bus is fine with me. I have 3 questions: How far is it from St. Andrews and how do we get there by bus? And a couple posters mentioned that it is expensive. How much are the fish and chips?

Thanks so much!

I just thought of another question: Is there anything to see or do near the restaurant?

St Andrews
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anstruther's Fish Restaurant questions

Hi whatakik,

Here is the Stagecoach bus website which operates the buses in this area:

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/

Use the 95 bus from St Andrews bus station (roughly every hour to Anstruther)

Anstruther is about 10 miles from St Andrews, by car it is about 30 mins but you will be taking the bus so will be roughly 40-45 mins.

Here is a link to the Award Winning Anstruther Fish Bar:

http://www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk/index.html

Can't quite remember the price, but wouldn't grudge paying it because it is the best fish and chips around...hence the massive queues outside the Fish Bar!

A good website for Anstruther information :

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/anstruther/…

Have fun!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anstruther's Fish Restaurant questions

Anstruther is only about 20 minutes on the bus from St Andrews. It's about 15 minutes by car.

I agree, the fish suppers are the best I have had. I can't remember the exact price but they are no more expensive than other places. There are a couple of other fish restaurants in Anstruther so make sure you get the correct one. It's slightly cheaper to take away than to eat in and if you get a nice evening there's nothing nicer than sitting on a bench at the harbour to eat and watch the boats.

Theres a Fisheries Museum on the harbour so you might find that interesting.

Be aware that the public toilets in Fife will charge you 30 pence and they are (in my experience) dirty and run down. The one at the beach in St Andrews is a disgrace and the one in Anstruther is nearly as bad. I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this and have written to Fife Council about it with no response.

Rant over.

Have a great trip.

huntington beach
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anstruther's Fish Restaurant questions

Thanks so much for your responses! I downloaded the menu and the prices are very reasonable. I also appreciate the advice on how to get there by bus. Since my daughter is going to be very busy during Fresher's Week...and we need to be somewhat scarce...I would love suggestions on what else to do with our afternoon? Any small towns that we can get to by bus you would suggest to explore in that area?

St Andrews
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anstruther's Fish Restaurant questions

Use the '95' Stagecoach bus to tour the 'East Neuk' Fishing Villages.

The bus goes through:

Elie

St Monans

Pittenweem

Anstruther

Cellardyke

Crail

Kingsbarns

Beautiful for pictures and very relaxing to walk through.

Try this link for the '95' timetable

stagecoachbus.com/timetables/95pckttt0402200…

:)

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anstruther's Fish Restaurant questions

If you can, try to get to Falkland. It's a lovely village with a palace to walk through.

6. Re: Anstruther's Fish Restaurant questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 22:24