We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dundee to st andrews

MEXICO
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
dundee to st andrews

Since i want to use my priority club points, i`m planning to stay in a holiday inn in dundee. How much is the cost of taxi and bus? travel time? i`m a golfer and my main goal is st andrews not dundee. is it a good idea to choose dundee instead of st andrews just because of the free hotel? one more question. i need to get rid of my wife while i play golf :D , as every woman she likes shopping, where she can find better shopping dundee or st. andrews?

one more idea... what if i rent car ? how difficult is for the rest of the world to drive on the other side? cost? thanks in advance for your help.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dundee to st andrews

I stayed on the outskirts of Dundee ( just 4 miles away) and a taxi to the centre was approx £10 so taxis to St Andrews will be a lot more expensive.

There is likely to be more shopping for your wife, and yourself, in Dundee.

A car would certainly allow you to explore the area and don't worry, just because you are used to driving on the wrong side of the road I am sure you will get the hang of the real thing fairly quickly.

You can hire a car for approx £25 per day - you might want to specify an automatic.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: dundee to st andrews

Stageoach bus number 96A departs Dundee every few minutes taking 27 minutes. Be sure you have your handicap card and that you have made reservations 1 year in advance for the old course. You might get lucky as a single walk on for the other major courses. Be prepared to pay $2oo/400 per round. Otherwise pay a course in Dundee. You should contact the course by e-mail well in advance. Sure don't know way you are wasting time in Dundee, guess you lost a bet.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dundee to st andrews

If you are into golf and sightseeing I would choose St Andrews over Dundee - it will cost you for the accommodation, but it will be much more convenient for you.

St Andrews is a good sized town that's really nice to walk around and has a good choice of places to eat. Shops are of the smaller, small town variety - but it's easy to waste time just wandering around.

Dundee is just like any other city centre as far as shopping goes - the standard chain stores but nothing unique or special.

Your wife can take the bus from St Andrews to Dundee, rather than you the other way around. And I would suggest a full day for her in Edinburgh, taking the train from Leuchars, around 5 miles out of St Andrews (or direct from Dundee if you stay there). St Andrews does not have a rail station. Edinburgh is a better big shopping destination.

Whether you rent a car depends on where you decide you will stay, where you intend playing golf and how you intend to get to your accommodation from your arrival point.

If staying in Dundee and intending heading to the St Andrews direction for your golf, get a car.

Not all courses are in the top price range - depends where you want to play. You can not book ahead as a single on any of the courses managed by the St Andrews Links Trust - New, Jubilee, Castle, and of course Old course. On all these you can only get a 'walk-on' time on the day of play, but there are other courses around St Andrews and the surrounding area where singles can book in advance.

Single also can not enter the daily ballot (lottery) for the Old course. If you stay in Dundee, try and get on Carnoustie. It's about the same distance from Dundee as St Andrews - just a little closer.

St Andrews
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dundee to st andrews

If using the frequent bus service from Stagecoach, it is the number 99 bus from Dundee - St Andrews which is every 15-20 minutes taking roughly 20-25minutes each way.

St.Andrews has charity shops, tourist shops but not as big a selection as Dundee in the way of 'clothes shopping'. Certainly use the train service from either Dundee or Leuchars to Edinburgh as mentioned, as Edinburgh would be perfect for your wife to do shopping (roughly 1hour on the train from Leuchars)

Renting a car as mentioned will cost £25, but if you don't feel confident with driving here..use the public transport.

If I were you, you say your a golfer, I reccommend staying in St Andrews. How about a B&B or Guest House, it might suit your budget more perhaps? Murray Park is full of guest houses which is within walking distance of everything especially a 3 minute walk to the 18th green of the Old Course!

Have fun!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: dundee to st andrews

If staying at Dundee you can also consider a round of golf at Carnoustie which is just a 10 minute train trip...and the station is around 5 minutes' walk from the course. There are several courses at Carnoustie; like St Andrews the championship course is expensive and requires advance booking.

MEXICO
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: dundee to st andrews

Whatever it takes to play the old course (money and time) it`s a must for a golfer. I`m planning to go early to the starter and see my luck. We also are going to pay a visit to edinurgh 2 days. The problem with my wife is that she doesn`t speak english and she doesn`t feel confident traveling alone in a strange country. I imagine that we can find malls US style in Dundee.

MEXICO
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: dundee to st andrews

If i dont have luck, can i walk the old course and take some pictures or that is allowed only for players? How long last daylight in the begining of may? is the old couse open until the end of daylight?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dundee to st andrews

There is a path that is fairly easy to follow that goes around the edge of the Old course.

On a Sunday the course is closed to golfers and anyone can walk on the course - so that would be the best day to go and take some pictures. If visiting any other day you should not get in the way of play. You will see plenty of people stopping to take pictures on the Swilken Bridge - even when there's people waiting to tee off at the 18th and they are standing right in the golfers way.

Sunset at the beginning of May will be around 9pm.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dundee to st andrews

Can't really think of any big malls like the US in Dundee. There is the Overgate, Wellgate and Forum shopping centres in Dundee city centre. In terms of malls more akin to the US, probably the Kingdom Centre in Glenrothes is one of the larger ones in the area at 430,000 sq ft, this is probably closer to St Andrews than Dundee. As far as retail therapy is concerned Glasgow wins hands down over the other Scottish cities imho.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dundee to st andrews

standrews.org.uk/golf/…advanced_old2009.html

The above link might be useful in helping you see how to get a tee time and what you need to do - guidelines are at the bottom of the page

Get answers to your questions about St Andrews