We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Edinburgh...help please

Which St Andrews hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bedford
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Topic
London to Edinburgh...help please

Going to St Andrews first weekend in April 2010.....suggestions on travel from London Gatwick...arr 7:10 AM....to Edinburgh, where I plan to pick up a car.....dont know which is the best way to travel....air or train....I have heard (if anyone can verify)...very inexpensive train tix available 3 months ahead of time.....dont mind th 4 hr scenic ride if that is true. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,788 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Edinburgh...help please

Hi, your post is a wee bit messy, your saying you are flying from Gatwick to Edinburgh then hire a car, then you ask about trains.

Where are you coming from so we can decide what advise to give you.

Under your tag is Bedford, if so would you not be better getting a budget flight from Luton or Stansted instead of going across London in the opposite direction, even a train from Peterborough on the east coast mainline would be an option.

Bedford
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Edinburgh...help please

Thank you.....lets clear up the wee bit of a mess.....traveling from USA to London.....then looking for the best way to get from Gatwick to Edinburgh....we Yanks have managed to mess up the English language....lol

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,688 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Edinburgh...help please

At a guess it's a Bedford in the US - but you are right, it's extremely messy and barely understandable.

So if OP is arriving at Gatwick, the simplest thing to do is get a flight from Gatwick to Edinburgh. Alternatively they could get a train from Gatwick to St Pancras, walk a few yards then get the train to Edinburgh. You can book a ticket for all of this trip starting at Gatwick and finishing at Edinburgh

If they are going to St Andrews then I can't see the point of hiring a car just to go to St Andrews as you can get the train to Leuchars then local bus to St Andrews - note that you can book Gatwick to St Andrews as a single train ticket even though a bus is involved

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,788 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Edinburgh...help please

Hi Again, Apoligies Michael for insinuating it was messy and also for assuming that it was Bedford, England. If you look at the map you will see what i was meaning.

Anyway Alanrow has gave you good suggestions and I would agree with him re the car unless of course you want to see more of Scotland.

Any more info then you may want to post on the Scotland Forum.

Bedford
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Edinburgh...help please

No need for the apologies, but thanks.....renting a car to see a bit more of Scotland (I teach history...and obviously not grammar) as well as flexibility to play others golf course out of St Andrews.....truly looking forward to the experience. Thanks again.

Dundee, Scotland
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Edinburgh...help please

Another suggestion is to fly from London City airport direct to Dundee which is less than 20 miles from St. Andrews. These flights are now very competitively priced.

The benefit of Dundee is its closer, and a much easier drive than Edinburgh to get to St. Andrews. Link is below.......

cityjet.com/dyn/pages/destinations/dundee/…

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Edinburgh...help please

Why, as a teacher........do you write.......this way.....

If me I would arrange for a private car service to pick me up at the airport assuming that you will be bring your clubs with you. Have them drop you off at Kings Cross station for the train to Edinburgh and on via train and bus to St. Andrews.

About 12 weeks in advance of your trip check with National Express rail to see what the cost will be and to make your purchase. I would allow 4 hours from arrival at 7:10 to departure from the train station. The reason is due to losing a good, low fare if you don't make the scheduled train causing the need to purchase a very expensive ticket.

If you need more information just ask as many people on this forum have a lot of knowledge and experience on rail travel.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,688 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Edinburgh...help please

<<< If me I would arrange for a private car service to pick me up at the airport >>>

Not from Gatwick - it's a miserable journey by car which seems longer than the flight. The train to St Pancras will take half the time - and be a quarter of the cost.

And as I pointed out, OP can get one ticket that will take them from Gatwick to St Andrews, so no worries about making connections

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,688 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Edinburgh...help please

<<< Why, as a teacher........do you write.......this way.....>>>

Too much CSI Miami - tilts head, takes off Sunglasses Of Justice...

Bedford, Tx
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Edinburgh...help please

Because I happened to be in a hurry a didnt want to write a long discourse....or maybe I ,didnt expect to be graded by someone from California......I dont mind the comments from the Scottish buds though,I enjoy them....I could even respond that I write that way due to being educated in California, but that would be priggish as well as blatantly untrue.....hope that is better