We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Course - late July or August

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
584 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Old Course - late July or August

Which is better time to try and play Old Course via Ballot.........July following Open Championship or August, their busiest month I am told. Thanks. John

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Course - late July or August

I don't think one is going to be particularly better than the other. The course will be busy when it opens again after the Open and August is traditionally a busy month.

No-one can predict the ballot for you, you just have to pick some dates and give it a go.

Forest Hill...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Course - late July or August

ut-oh. My husband and I have planned a St. Andrews area vacation end of July into August and I'm getting more and more anxious. I don't golf but was assured I could walk with him as he plays the old course. If it's as busy as predicted do you think we will be able to do that?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Course - late July or August

Pat,

I would not be concerned. The Old course is pretty full on most days - but it still means that each tee-time is for just four golfers, so it makes no difference at all to whether you can walk with your husband or not. He is more than likely to be part of a four ball whatever day he plays and no matter how busy the course is the rest of the day. You just have to be aware of the normal golf etiquette out on the course and not get in the way of the golfers.

Forest Hill...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Course - late July or August

Thank you so much! I'm going to stop worrying about walking the "old course." What's the best time to arrive at the course for inclusion in a group?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Course - late July or August

Ah, now I understand your message. I had assumed from your post that your husband had a guaranteed tee-time.

The Starter arrives at the Old course about 6 I believe. The queue for single golfers looking for time can start quite some time before this and there have even been those who have camped out overnight, straight from leaving the pub. I would have a word with the Starter when you are in St Andrews and see what time he suggests it might be wise to be there in the morning.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
660 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Course - late July or August

If your husband does not have a t time - check the ballot after about 4pm. You can then see how many 2 / 3 balls are going out and the time.

no need to really sleep over at the starter box if the first 2/3 balls are not until later in the morning.

Also worth having a word with the starter a few days before - to get a feel of how the system operates

#

7. Re: Old Course - late July or August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2010, 05:15