We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any problems with U.S. debit cards?

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Any problems with U.S. debit cards?

Hello --

I have read about some problems using U.S. debit cards abroad because of the "chip and pin" technology that apparently has become prevalent in Europe since my last trip, several years ago.

Will I have a problem in St. Andrews? (Can't remember how to deal with cash abroad w/o my ATM card!)

Thanks!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,369 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any problems with U.S. debit cards?

All you need is a four digit PIN number from your bank to use ATMs here. Don't worry about the Chip. Inform your bank that you will be using the card overseas as well

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any problems with U.S. debit cards?

My card machine that I use for business has a swipe facility which prints out a chitty to sign.

It worked perfectly fine with an American a couple of weeks ago.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any problems with U.S. debit cards?

If it's got a Visa or MC logo, it'll work like a credit card.

That is: you'll struggle without a PIN to have the card accepted at many railway and tube ticket machines, and will need to use the ticket desk (not available at 100% of stations 100% of the time).

Most other places that deal with tourists will process your card, but some smaller or busier places uninterested in tourists (like suburban supermarkets) might just not want to waste time phoning for authorisation of a high-ticket but low margin purchase if all their staff are serving customers they know will pay.

simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any problems with U.S. debit cards?

Mine worked fine at ATM-have 4 digit pin

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any problems with U.S. debit cards?

Thanks, all, for your prompt replies. Sounds like I'll be fine.

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any problems with U.S. debit cards?

I returned just yesterday from 10 days in St. Andrews and Dornoch. I used both my bank ATM card (from BB&T) for cash and my Capital One Visa card (without the chip and pin system) for larger purchases with no problems at all. As others have said, be sure to tell any card providor that you'll be in Scotland, so the foreign transactions don't trigger the fraud sensors. It would also be a good idea to find out what fees (if any) are applied to your transactions. That could push you toward making more cash withdrawals or toward trying to pay for most things with your debit card. Have a great time!

7. Re: Any problems with U.S. debit cards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:42
Get answers to your questions about St Andrews