We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

Greetings friends! We will be going to Scotland Summer 2013 and will be staying in Saint Andrews for a week. I will be hanging around while my daughter is taking a class at the University of Saint Andrews. A few questions please! All input appreciated!

1. What would you recommend I do during the day while in Saint Andrews? Any day trips? We would like to see castles, scenery, villages, etc.

2. Would you recommend any horseriding places around Saint Andrews? Would that be a great way to get around?

3. Should we go to the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh? Any tips on where to stay/eat for the Tattoo?

4. If we only have 2-3 days to see Scotland outside of Saint Andrews, what would you recommend? A bus tour? We want to enjoy the best of it since we may only get to go this once. Our interests would be villages, shopping, cafes, castles, scenery, theatre (bringing my 15 year old daughter who loves theatre and singing/music).

Many thanks! :)Becky

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

Hi Becky,

St Andrews is a tourist destination in itself, with a castle, pretty fishing villages nearby, and the historic Kingdom of Fife all around.

Cities like Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow and Perth are less than 2 hours away.

Not sure horse-riding is the best form of transport these days, but you never know!

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

Thank you PeterScot :) How would you recommend I get to Fife from Saint Andrews? Are there buses? If you were only going to Scotland once, what would you make sure you saw before you left? Thanks a million! :)Becky

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

Hi,

St Andrews is in Fife. Fife is a county. There are buses. Google is your friend.

I can't answer the question about what I would see, as I have already seen much of it many times.

Wouldn't it be simpler to think of what YOU want to see? :-)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,780 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

Would you hire a car? That's the best way to get around Fife, particularly if you have limited time.

If not, I'd suggest googling Rabbie's Tours. The have small group tours all over Scotland by minibus. They have a good reputation here

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

If you are relying on public transport then Stagecoach is the local bus operator- www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.aspx…

You can get a short bus journey to Leuchars train station which will take you direct in to Edinburgh in an easy day trip.

The Edinburgh Tattoo is great, but you wouldn't manage to get back to St Andrews in the evening as it finishes too late so you would need to factor in an overnight stay in Edinburgh. If you are thinking of attending the Tattoo then you would need to book your ticket and accommodation within the next few weeks at the latest as it sells out early.

From St Andrews a visit to Falkland palace and Scone palace would be easily manageable and well worthwhile. Also consider visiting the lovely local fishing villages of Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail.

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

Thanks a million everyone! REALLY helpful! We definitely want to see breathtaking Scottish scenery as well as enjoy the Cosmopolitan happenings in Edinburgh! Your advice is warmly received! :)Becky

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

There is also a fairly direct express bus from St. Andrews to Edinburgh, takes a little over an hour. The traveline Scotland website is an excellent resource for trip planning.

I second the Falkland Palave suggestion. Plenty of great cafes and tearooms in Falkland itself. A trip to Edinburgh during festival time is a must - such a vibrant and exciting place. I'm excited for you!

Abs :)

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

Thinks Abs! I was hoping you would respond...I have always enjoyed your posts and how kind you are to the travelers! :)Becky

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

I love St.Andrews and there is a lot to see and do in the town itself - unfortunately there is a large amusement fair on in August which sort of spoils some of the photos you may want to take of the wonderful old buildings. However its only on over a long weekend so you may miss it if you are lucky!!( 9th-13th August 2013) If its on you should maybe just use those days to visit other places. Personally I would hire a car if you can sort yourselves out with what you want to see and do it would be easy to put a route together. Definitely try and visit the East Neuk villages as they are worth seeing and very pretty.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ustours/falkland-…

The whole of the Undiscovered Scotland website is extremely useful for getting ideas on where you may want to go and there is a list of driving tours on the right hand side of the page link I sent you above.

I would forget the horse riding tours although if you must do it Barbarafield at Craigrothie near Ceres may be of interest.

http://www.barbarafieldrs.co.uk/

IMHO the Highlands is the place to go riding (or pony trekking as we refer to it) this is done on the sturdy highland pony and usually for a day long outing but hourly rides are also possible - you just see more of the beautiful scenery the longer you are out.

If you are up in my neck of the woods you may want to check out this website

rothiemurchus-activities.co.uk/Activities.as…

I would second a visit to Falkland Palace - its excellent.

You may also want to try and visit a Highland Games when you are over anyway.

http://www.shga.co.uk/visitors.php

You may want to consider a train journey north to Inverness (approx 3 hours) for great scenery and no driving! From Inverness you are then in a different part of the world scenery wise from St.Andrews.

Good luck with your planning - you have a lot of research to do over the winter. If you need more help just ask

Regards

Woody x

Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to see around St. Andrews and how to best see Scotland?

Thanks a MILLION Woody! What EXCELLENT EXCELLENT advice! Looking into ALL OF IT! The pony rides in the Highlands...now on my Bucket List! Not sure we will have the time this trip though :( Have a happy day! You have certainly made mine! :)

Get answers to your questions about St Andrews