We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

I was trying to write a review for this place and find it is not listed in trip advisor? This must be because it is so awful!!!! I just spent the weekend there with my husband in our tourer. The caravan park obviously caters mainly for static caravan users as the site for tourers looks like it had been added as an afterthought! The pitches were tiny, no room to put an awning up (thank goodness the kids were not with us!!). So bad , in fact, that when we left , we had to free-wheel our caravan out of the pitch onto our car!!! The tourers are squeezed into a spot on top of the shower blocks and ten steps away from the "entertainment" lounge, oh and dont forget the playpark ten steps away also!!

The shower blocks, give them their due were clean, but so slippy, and cold! Also there was no hairdryers or hairdrying points ----what on earth are campers meant to do???

I decided to have a walk on the beach to clear my head, and to see if the natural beauty could redeem this site, but found to my horror the beach strewn with litter, and loads of dogs running riot with owners obviously not too bothered about picking up their mess!!

The shop on site seems to make up their prices as well----over £2 for sweeteners???

I will never be back at St Andrews Holiday park and will strongly urge my friends to avoid it like the plague!!!

Mentioned in this post
St Andrews Holiday Park
St Andrews Holiday Park
119 Reviews
St Andrews, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

You should have requested the touring pitches at the end of the static site

its much more roomier and quieter

The beach gets cleaned daily and notices say to dog owners to pick up the litter

but thats hardly the caravan parks fault they have no control over the beach

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

Should have gone to Craigtoun Meadows or Cairnsmill. Kinkell Braes is and always has been a site centred on those with statics IMHO. Lovely views but I wouldn't stay there!

>>loads of dogs running riot with owners obviously not too bothered about picking up their mess!! <<

As gusm007 says the above is not the caravan park's fault but I think the powers that be should seriously consider banning dogs from the beach during the summer months (as they do in Nairn) and outwith those times make sure dogs are under control. The West Sands are as bad - its bedlam!! I cannot understand dogs being allowed to roam free especially if you are actually sitting on the beach trying to have a picnic - its not nice.

Woody x

Mentioned in this post
Braes
Braes
199 Reviews
Dundee, UK
Nairn
Nairn
Scottish Highlands, UK
St Andrews West Sands Beach
St Andrews West Sands...
585 Reviews
St Andrews, UK
glasgow
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

We have a static caravan on the site and think its really good, so much so that I can't wait to retire and spend more time there. I regularly walk along the East Sands heading into the town and have yet to see dogs mess on the beach, although I can't really see the link between a small, noisy pitch and dogs mess half a mile away.

A number of friends have used our caravan and they have all wanted to go back so the site can't be all that bad.

Neither Cairnsmill or Craigton are really in St Andrews in that you still need transport of stout shoes to walk into the town, 15/20 min walk from Kinkell and you are in the town centre. Horses for courses but I'm perfectly happy with my pitch and am looking forward to heading back up the road on Friday night.

Mentioned in this post
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

All the Parks in St Andrews have something different going for them and it really just depends what you are looking for, all are graded accordingly by the Tourist Board - Kinkell 3 star, Cairnsmill 4 star and Craigtoun Meadows 5 star. Their individual websotes tell you enough to make a decision.

If you particularly want to avoid dogs, Craigtoun Meadows does not allow visitors to bring them.

With regard to distances to the St Andrews, they are all fairly close, all within a few hundred yards of the town. If you take South Street as bing the town centre, which most locals do - Kinkell is 1 mile away, Cairnsmill 1.3 miles and Craigtoun Meadows 1.6 miles - yes I have measured them just to check it out!

Mentioned in this post
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

All three sites are very good in different ways.In Kinkell you get lovely sea views and in Craigtoun and Cairnsmill you get Wooded and countryside views.

I have stayed in all of them and enjoyed them but i prefer Kinkell just because of its close proximity to beach and sea views

Level Contributor
24 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

We have just got returned home today from a 4 night Holiday, and this is not the first time we have been either. We have returned here for the last 7 years and the park & caravans is absolutely brilliant for the location. The bar with manager Scott and restaurant are a welcome asset for both entertainment and lovely food cooked by the lovely Jeanie. We have made some good friends over the years and will be returning next year. As for the dogs on the beach that is up to the town council sort out not the caravan park Well done all concerned at the park

fife scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

i totally agree with some but not all the statement made,the pitches are too close together&the toilets can do with an upgrade but the toilets on the other touring site at far end of the park are fine,a bit hilly and muddy,i dissagree about the food,we went for a family meal and it was terrible and the dogs on the beach cannot be any fault off the site surely,i have visited this site a few tlmes and wont be back as i prefer cairnsmill its much cleaner and friendly,althogh its a lovely walk from kinkell into town via the beach...

larbert
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

Quite agree with your comments could be a great site ideal location beautiful outlook but not an ideal touring site I holidayed here when they built the new toilet block at the far end of he site but hey used the antiquated fittings from the old toilet blocks and looked very shabby and dirty also most of the children were left to run riot when there parents were in the pub on the hole to rowdy for me went back many years later only to find nothing had changed I now use Cairnmill or craigton meadows where everything is spotless and you are well looked after

Arbroath, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

Just returned from Kinkell Braes Holiday Park today having spent 3 nights in our tourer and thought I would read some of the comments on here of which I agree with most. Downside: Touring pitches are far too small we have a twin axle caravan and the underneath of the caravan at the rear almost hit the ground the pitch was so un even we didn't put our awning up as there was no room, there is distinct lack of grounds management i.e people would just walk right passed your caravan windows, peer in and then walk to the toilet block which was at the rear of our pitch. We were 3 pitches away from the live entertainment which "boogied on" on until the early hours of the morning ( it wasn't helped by somebody's car alarm kept going off!!). Toilet block is in need of a complete overhaul as it is old however is clean. Goodside: Lovely staff, beautiful views and walks down the beach, kids enjoyed the games room and park. We will not be back to this site as we much prefer Craigton Meadows as it is much quieter and more touring caravan friendly. However I think it very much depends on what you want from a caravan site it just wasn't our cup of tea

Mentioned in this post
Braes
Braes
199 Reviews
Dundee, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kinkell Braes Holiday Park, St Andrews

IRMC! Sitting in a now blissfully peaceful Craigtoun Meadows as we speak. The Easter hordes have gone home and silence reins.....!