We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for 1 weekend night after overseas flight

Which St Andrews hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
alabama
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel for 1 weekend night after overseas flight

Our family flies into Edinburgh late on a Saturday afternoon. I am hoping to rent a car and drive to St. Andrews for 1 night. Can anyone suggest a possible hotel? We will be tired, etc., but my son would like to see the Old Course. Also, any thoughts for dinner, either in St. Andrews or on the way. Thanks to all of you.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for 1 weekend night after overseas flight

Hi. Where are you headed after that first night?

I am no golf expert, but I think you can walk the old course on a Sunday morning.

I stayed at The Fairmont, which is a stunning regale hotel on a golf course, overlooking the ocean, a few miles out of town. Sumptuous rooms with all mod-cons. They even have American plug outlets, for their American visitors!

The Seafood restaurant is a great introduction to Scottish seafood and gas stunning views over the ocean.

Abs :)

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for 1 weekend night after overseas flight

If you are tired then perhaps driving is not such a great idea. You could stay in Edinburgh and go to St Andrews in the morning.

If you do want to stay in St Andrews near the Old Course have a look at The Scores, Rusacks, Golf Hotel and the Old Course Hotel.

And yes you can walk the course on a Sunday as it is closed to players

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for 1 weekend night after overseas flight

Just one small note of caution on walking the Old course on a Sunday. Sometimes there are competitions on the course and we don't know your date of travel. Take a look at http://www.standrews.org.uk/Play/Busy-Dates and that will tell you if there is anything on on the date you're in town.

The difference on a Sunday when the course is closed to play is that you can go anywhere on the course. On all other days you can walk the paths around the course.

The TA reviews on hotels should be helpful to you. Most of the town ones have all ready been listed in the responses above and there are also a lot of guest houses in the town as an alternative - again listed on the TA reviews. If you want to be within walking distance of the course and the town then the Fairmont is not for you, but if you are happy to drive into town from your hotel then the Fairmont and also Rufflets are options.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,668 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for 1 weekend night after overseas flight

If I remember rightly you are visiting in May? I would suggest the likes of The Russell Hotel, St.Andrews Golf Hotel or The Scores Hotel which are all on a street called The Scores, overlooking the sea and beaches and very close to the Old Course. Rusacks overlooks the 18th fairway so would also be ideal. You are unlikely to get B & B for one night in St.Andrews so a hotel is a better option.

The Fairmont is out of town but I think they run a courtesy bus into the centre.

Sorry I know I have just repeated Williamnt's answer - but I am seconding his reply!

Woody x

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for 1 weekend night after overseas flight

I hope you are not intending drive immediately after landing in a tired, jet lagged state - dangerous to yourself and, more importantly, to other road users, particularly if you are not used to driving on 'the wrong side of the road'

alabama
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for 1 weekend night after overseas flight

Thank you everyone for the messages!

7. Re: Hotel for 1 weekend night after overseas flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about St Andrews