We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs and Music

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pubs and Music

We are traveling to Scotland with our two teenagers, 17 and 15 years. Are we allowed to bring them into pubs with us to eat, and listen to music?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs and Music

Many pubs welcome under eighteens for meals. There are also a number of venues that have live music where they would OK. It may well vary from venue to venue and also from gig to gig.

www.skinnymag.co.uk is a good place to start looking at what might be on, as is www.list.co.uk which is a comprehensive entertainment listing for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The west end attracts a youngish crowd due to the proximity of the University, and is blessed with some great bars, restaurants and music venues. Here is the link to the excellent West End community website that is well worth exploring:

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/out/gigguide/

Also for maps and accomodation:

www.seeglasgow.com

www.glasgowguide.com

If you let me know your dates I could perhaps get my teen to come up with some good suggestions.

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs and Music

Thank you, Purpleceltic! I will look forward to exploring the websites you've recommended. My son, the 17 year old, is so interested in music of a wide variety of generes. We will be there June 22-25. After that, we will drive out to see Aran, Mull and Skye. Then we plan to head back to Edinburgh, but not yet sure where we'll stop along the way. My son is pusing for the cities and their hustle and bustle and music, and we are pushing for the lovely countryside. It will be a mixture of both. We can't wait! A few years back we spent two weeks in Wales and just loved it. I'm guessing that Scotland will be only better! I've also see the International Jazz Festival mentioned, but only see info for the 2006 Glasgow fest, not yet the 2007.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs and Music

jomama I have two teens that spend much time in and around Glasgow. My 16 year old said that there are usually gigs that are ok for over 14s, though probably not with parents in tow - not sure how much freedom they are going to get!

My sixteen year old has managed to get to many gigs in Glasgow and met many of the bands too. Definitely got her ear to the ground! Apparently there's a bar called Canvas just across the road from the Kelvingrove museum that has music and a small bar that should be suitable for all of you to visit, and also she recommends Oranmor at the top of the Byres Road.

Sometimes they have acoustic sets in the bar and have a nice restaurant too - its an old converted church where you can also go for 'A play, a pie and a pint' some lunchtimes or evenings. I think its ten pounds per head for something to eat and drink while being entertained with a short play - I must try that sometime!

f you are interested in highland/folk music (teenage groan) then there are quite a few places. One is The Snaffle Bit in the west end, though I have not been so I cannot vouch whether it is a nice place or not, but here's the website:

http://www.thesnafflebit.co.uk/

Won't overload you with info, but if the teens want to know more I could put them in touch with my teen - you could pm me:-)

Everything I'm talking about seems to be in the west end sorry!

http://www.westendfestival.co.uk/

Scotland
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pubs and Music

Purpleceltic, you hardly look more than a teenager yourself!

Jomamam, there are loads of good live music places in Glasgow but the gigs tend to be a bit later on and pubs get fussier about under-18s after the early evening. What sort of music are they into?

Canvas isn't Canvas anymore - it's more a food-oriented place now.

5. Re: Pubs and Music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 23:21