We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenient train station as a meeting point

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
665 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Convenient train station as a meeting point

I am hoping the Glaswegians can help out.

I am travelling with a friend through the west coast, Skye and the islands. He is coming up from the south of England and I will be coming from Edinburgh (having flown into Edinburgh a few days earlier). The current plan is for me to take the train to Glasgow Queen Street from Edinburgh and he will pick me up there and we will drive north towards Skye.

But I am wondering if there are train stations that would be more convenient so he wouldn't have to drive into Glasgow city centre? It would be on a Saturday morning. My friend will have driven up from Bath after work on Friday and will spend the night at motel/lodge somewhere a hour or so south of Glasgow (Carlisle?). I just want to make the collection as easy as possible for him.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Carlisle
Carlisle
Cumbria, UK
20 replies to this topic
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convenient train station as a meeting point

Certainly Glasgow city centre is not car friendly.

If you are heading north on the A82 via the Erskine Bridge I would suggest Cardonald Station.

It is only 8 minutes from Glasgow Central Station and has access to and from the M8.Check it on Google maps.

It is only a very short walk from Queen St to Central or there are some trains from Edinburgh to Central.Check the Scotrail site for times.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow Central Station
Glasgow Central Station
911 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Perth, United...
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Convenient train station as a meeting point

How about Partick? Easily reached from the centre of town for you, by train or Subway and no too difficult to find for your friend.

Or you could make your way further north and they could meet you outside of Glasgow.

Depending on what time they leave work in Bath is is going to be a long drive, even to Carlisle, minimum 6 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Carlisle
Carlisle
Cumbria, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,788 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convenient train station as a meeting point

Rather than getting the Edinburgh - Glasgow Queen Street train you could get the Glasgow Central train and get off at Motherwell which is a stones throw off the M74 if your friend is coming from the south.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Glasgow Central Tours
Glasgow Central Tours
2,648 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,152 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convenient train station as a meeting point

Or you could even get a Virgin West Coast train direct from Edinburgh to Carlisle and meet there.

Queen Street station is going through a massive redevelopment, it may be a bit awkward arranging a meeting point there if waiting areas etc get moved around.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Carlisle
Carlisle
Cumbria, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,788 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convenient train station as a meeting point

I don't see the point in going from Edinburgh to Carlisle if the plan is to head north?!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Carlisle
Carlisle
Cumbria, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,944 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convenient train station as a meeting point

Forget Queen St! As said Refurbishment is taking place and vehicle access is severely restricted in streets that are restricted by Bus Lanes in the first place!

Kenko, Cardonald sits on a very busy road (Berryknowes Rd) that is a main artery to/from the Clyde Tunnel, so not ideal for a car to be sitting there!

The least hassle for both I think is Dumbarton East.

You could swap trains at Queen St, you just go downstairs to the slow Level and get a train to Dumbarton East, your friend would come up the M6/74/8 and over the Erskine Bridge and onto the A82 and pick you up outside the Station then a quick turn back onto the A82 and away you go!

Mentioned in this post
Clyde Hostel
Clyde Hostel
215 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convenient train station as a meeting point

Mad.

I still think Cardonald is shortest deviation off motorway.

There is no problem for a quick pick up outside the station.Otherwise the station has a small car park.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,944 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convenient train station as a meeting point

Yes I totally agree with you on that point, it is literally off then back on again, but also they have to get around to Central Station to change Trains, if the OP is comfortable with that, then go ahead, it isn't a Car Park btw, just a turning area for the local residents next to the Station. (Was my local Station in my childhood)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convenient train station as a meeting point

Assuming your friend is coming up the M74, he doesn't need to go via Glasgow and neither do you. Take the train from Edinburgh to Stirling. He can pick you up at the station there, and a few minutes later you can be heading north via Doune and Callander. It's a much more relaxed drive than going via Loch Lomond and just as pretty. He can go from the M74 to the M73 then M80

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Stirling
Stirling
Stirling, UK
Callander
Callander
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
401 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Falkirk District...
Level Contributor
474 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Convenient train station as a meeting point

If you are coming from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Get off one stop early at Croy this is only a short distance from M80 and is easy to stop at then you can head north via M80.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Reply to: Convenient train station as a meeting point
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow