We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

I am visiting Glasgow next week and was wondering if I needed to carry any warm clothes - fleece, etc? The weather forecast shows a lot of humidity and some rain. I will definitely have a light raincoat.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
13 replies to this topic
Perth, United...
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

Possibly a lightweight fleece and breathable waterproof outer later.

No one knows what the weather will be like next week.

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

Thanks. Is the weather really that unpredictable? I did hear that UK weather is more unpredictable than many other places but can I not rely on it a few days in advance?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,974 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

It is predictably unpredictable hence the old Scottish saying that if you don't like the weather then hang around 20 minutes and it will change.

Scotland
Level Contributor
935 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

Unpredictable? I am listening to a Scottish football match on the radio: it started in heavy rain which turned to bright sunshine. At halftime, there was a hailstorm. It is also very windy.

(The goalkeeper has just let a shot in through his legs. I do not know if the weather influenced this.)

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

This morning I was out for a walk in a T shirt. Although it was windy it was dry and warm enough. Later on I had a lightweight fleece on and currently the rain is pouring down and I will be putting my waterproof jacket on when I head back out.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
15,000 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

On the west coast of Scotland it was warm and sunny this morning but we're expecting heavy rains soon by the look of the clouds and the remnants of Hurricane Gert appear to be whipping up the trees. I've just put the central heating on in my house and if I went outside right now I'd consider wearing a warm hat and winter jacket. August in Scotland - as unpredictable as any other month in the UK. Be prepared. Bring layers.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

In answer to your question of being able to predict in advance then 36-48 hours is the most anyone would give it as far as weather forecast reports goes!

Level Contributor
3,608 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

I'm in Edinburgh today, just down the road.

It started cold & cloudy today. Then the wind whipped up. The sun came out every 10 minutes or so and it was briefly quite warm. Then it rained. Now it's quite humid but still windy. This is within one day. A couple of days ago the forecast for today was 18 Celsius and sunny. Today it said 14 and cloudy. It's been both of those & everything inbetween.

Currently wearing jeans, walking shoes, t-shirt, light sweater (which occasionally gets slung around my waist) and a good medium-weight water-repellent parka.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

It is perfectly possible to have brilliantly hot sunshine from the south and heavy rain from overhead, simultaneously.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)

Dunno about unpredictable....a saying is if you can see the hills it's going to be raining soon...if you can't see them it's already raining. It's rained every day except 2 in Helensburgh since May 😂.

However it was fabulous up in the Highlands..so take the above as a bit of a joke.

Bring layers take on and off as necessary....today I wore my winter rain coat..the heating was on but allegedly is to be dry and sunny...It's the hope that kills you...tomorrow I may be wearing a summer outfit or not depending on when I look outside 😂😂😂

Reply to: Clothing for Glasgow next week (August)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted