We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early breakfast

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu
10 posts
Save Topic
Early breakfast

I'm taking the sleeper from London on May 7, arriving at Glasgow Central around 8 am on Tues. I'd appreciate any ideas for breakfast while I wait for things to open. I'm only going to be there for half a day and am primarily hoping to visit a couple of the Charles Rennie Macintosh attractions, but would love to hear about anything else that I shouldn't miss.

I'm planning on leaving my overnight bag at the left luggage at the Buchanan bus station and taking a bus to Edinburgh around 2 pm. Does this sound right?

Many thanks in advance.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,773 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early breakfast

I should think there are plenty of places in the vicinity of the railway station for a good breakfast, just follow the smell of bacon, lol. If you wander in the direction of Royal Exchange Square there is a place called caffe uno that has a good breakfast.

http://www.caffeuno.co.uk/breakfast.html

If however you plan to visit Kelvingrove Museum or the Hunterian Museum, then its probably worth heading out to the West End on the Subway (just a few minutes ride) and getting off at, say, Hillhead Station near the University and the Hunterian Museum, on Byres Road. The Byres Road has loads of great cafes to choose from and I will try and find out which are recommended if you want to go in this direction. Just let me know.

Not sure what your best option for luggage storage is - perhaps someone else can help on that issue.

cheers

Purple

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early breakfast

Hi

8 o'clock seems to be when a lot of places start opening for breakfast so you should be fine - Miss Cranston's Teamroom at 33 Gordon Street offers no fewer than 5 breakfast menus, there are the ubiquitours starbucks - plus many more choices if you head away from the centre. However last time I was on a sleeper we got served a (small!) breakfast, so you may have been fed already.

Although a touristy thing to do, the open top bus tour is worth a look - you do get to see a lot of the city, and the commentators are v. good - just make sure you get live ones and not just a multilingual tape.

I don't know your timetable, but if you can go to Edinburgh later, I'd urge you to have lunch in the cafe of mackintosh's House for an Art Lover - it is just so good food and it would give you the chance to see a lovely building and gardens. It has been warm enough here these last few days to sit outside, and lunch in the gardens there is just something else.

Honolulu
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Early breakfast

Following the smell of bacon is always good advice!

And thank you for the info about House for an Art Lover--sounds great.

4. Re: Early breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 14:20