We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

Ames, Iowa
11 posts
Save Topic
Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

First of all, I've been enjoying reading this forum, and am very impressed by the helpful people who answer questions.

We are arriving in Glasgow @ 8:35 a.m. on June 6th at GLA. We are staying the Town House Guesthouse at 4 Hughenden Terrace. I understand that a taxi from the airport to this location would be about 20 GBP?

Does it seem doable to take the Citylink airport bus (I looked it up and for the two of us it would run 7 GBP) and then from Queens Street Station to Hyndland station (another 3 GBP)? It looks walkable with rolling luggage, even though we will be massively jet-lagged.

Alternatively, we could walk to our friends' house on Polwarth St before dropping our luggage off... its a little closer. Otherwise, what would the approximate taxi fare be from the bus station to 4 Hughenden?

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

For two people,with luggage,arriving off a night flight I would say get a taxi direct.It's not that more expensive and will only take about 20 minutes.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

The airport Taxis are dear. From my house in the east end to the airport in a private hire is a set cost of £ 17 but in the white airport taxi it is £ 30 as they use the meter. I think the airport bus and the train, if you don't mind the hastle will be much cheaper. A taxi from Queen St to Hyndland I think would be about £ 8 in a black hack but cheaper if you phone a private hire.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

Hi Jennifer,

I think your best bet would be to phone a private hire (or minicab as they're known elsewhere) when you get to the airport.

As mentioned above, the airport cabs are very expensive (as they pay a fee for the taxi stand there) - but private hire cabs are still allowed to come in and pick up at the airport.

I would guess that the fare to your destination would be around £15 max. This would save you a great deal of grief with public transport and baggage.

You can send me a message if you wish to have a few number of reputable cab companies in the area.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

Hi

If you are arriving off a night flight I'd say definitely get a taxi - the journey is fine by bus, train and on foot, and is certainly walkable, but do you really need the hassle for £10.

At that time of day, everyone is commuting into Glasgow, so the traffic is slow.it would therefore be worth agreeing a fixed price fare. I've not tried this, but some firms - eg glasgow-airport-taxis.co.uk/safe-and-secure.… say they will agree a fixed fare in advance.

If you are going to Hughenden Terrace your taxi can cut through the Clyde Tunnel, whereas the bus into the city centre will have to crawl across the Kingston Bridge - very slow. Traffic will also be slow in the city centre, so a taxi from the bus station won't necessarily save you a great deal.

Hope this helps = by the way, the train near Hughenden Terrace is a really handy way to get round Glasgow - I'm sure you'll find it very useful!

Ames, Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

Thanks, everyone!

I'm glad I posted, as per your advice I will probably check out a private hire cab.

Cheers!~Jennifer

Ames, Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

My friend who we are staying with says that the airport taxis charge a flat fee of 15 GBP. Is that true or is she smoking something?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

Never heard of a flat fee for the GA taxis!

She's smokin something, and I want some!

From their own website:

"Glasgow Airport Millennium Taxis do not claim to be the cheapest, nor do we claim to be the biggest Taxi service. What we do claim however is honesty."

Kinda gives you the idea that they aren't exactly cheap!

Have a look:

http://www.ga-taxis.co.uk/

Ames, Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

Thanks for the feedback, Moby!

I had inquired about a flat fee fare from this company, who someone had posted about:

glasgow-airport-taxis.co.uk/safe-and-secure.…

They said that the fare would be 20 GBP. Its seems like I could find cheaper. I think I will 1)just ask the taxis at the airport if they have a flat fee--it can't hurt... and if it seems like it will be expensive, I will call Arklestone (sp), which you had suggested earlier.

I'm not sure why I'm so hung up on this particular detail. I guess I'm not keen to shell out the major pounds if I can avoid it.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

Just sent you another message that should help.

10. Re: Would you recommend this route from airport to Guesthouse?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2007, 13:18