We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestion for city centre hotel

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
suggestion for city centre hotel

We'll be flying to Glasgow from the States in early September. This time we are not going to make the mistake of renting a car and heading out on the highway while jet-lagged. We arrive in Glasgow around 9:30 in the morning. We'd like to head straight for a nice hotel in the City Centre where, after a nap, we could wander out of the hotel and walk around. Some place with shops, parks, and restaurants within walking distance would be very nice. Also some place that could accommodate an early check-in. We'd just stay the night and then head back out to the airport the next morning to rent a car and head up into the Highlands.

Any suggestions??

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestion for city centre hotel

If you want city centre you could try the Millenium Hotel on George Square or the Carlton George. Lots of restaurants and shops right there. Otherwise, you could try the West End and stay at 1 Devonshire Gardens (if money is no object) or one of the hotels by Kelvingrove Museum. This would give you parks (The Botanic Gardens or Kelvingrove Park) as well as more quirky shops and great restaurants (e.g. Ubiquitous Chip, Ashton Lane).

Hope this helps,

F

x

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestion for city centre hotel

Thanks. It looks like the walking about from the Millenium would be better than from the SAS Radisson. Thanks for the restaurant suggestions also. The du Vin does indeed look pricey. Wow!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
22,066 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestion for city centre hotel

Have had a couple of lovely stays at the Hilton Glasgow which is within easy walking distance of the city centre

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestion for city centre hotel

Hi

Our favourite hotel when we visit Glasgow is the Novatel. You will find it very central to all and close enough to jump in a taxi to eat & drink in the West End

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestion for city centre hotel

I's avoid the Hilton - it's aging badly and in need of refurbishment.

Jury's Inn is very central and new: http://ukhotels.jurysdoyle.com/

If you want a budget hotel, Novotel is cheap, new and cheerful - also central: http://www.novotel.com/novotel/index.html

Also very new and central but more expensive is the Radisson SAS:

www.radissonsas.co.uk/cs/Satellite…

w62
London
Level Contributor
862 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestion for city centre hotel

Novotel - great value for money, nice quiet location but still central

Jury's Inn - ok nothing special and I am not keen on the location - Jamaica St a bit rough.

Millenium - charming, great breakfast, fab location.

Langs - great location, modern rooms, friendly staff - bit noisy if you are at the front apparently so ask for a room at the back.

Holiday Inn Theatreland - poky rooms, very noisy at night. I would give this one a miss.

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestion for city centre hotel

Hi

We stayed in Jury's Inn when we went and thought the hotel was fine and in a good location to walk everywhere!

Would recommend!

Natasha

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestion for city centre hotel

Hi

Sounds a good plan. I've stayed at Jury's Inn too and while the hotel is nothing special, there's nothing wrong with it either, and its very handy for the centre. My room overlooked the railway station platforms and the triple glazing was so good it was really quiet. (Good if you like trains I guess....)

I always fancied trying Langs before I moved here - I heard it was good - but more expensive than Jurys etc.

if you fancy self catering, Heritor's Residences in the west end look very swish and are in easy wandering distance of the shops, parks and restaurants - not to mention the legendary breakfasts at the North Star cafe nearby.

Florida
Level Contributor
326 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestion for city centre hotel

We had a nice stay at the Marriott - within a 10 mintue walk to most shops/restaurants we needed and accessible to all transportation.

glasgow
Level Contributor
232 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestion for city centre hotel

the novatel is cheap jurys is very central langs is nice so is malmaison there are loads of nice hotels too stay in apartments also in town glasgow is fab so just get here and enjoy !!!!!

central hotel ok so is the thistle hotel

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow
Recent Conversations