We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottish Breakfast..

NYC
Level Contributor
178 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Scottish Breakfast..

Same as a typical English Breakfast? Where around the city center [staying at Jurys] will have a highly recommended Scottish Breakfast?

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,469 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Scottish Breakfast..

I can't believe I have not contibuted to this thread.

i have been offered oatcakes for breakfast on many occassion in Scottish guest houses but generally in addtion to porridge (my favourite) sausages,black pudding ,tomatoes,good back bacon, fried eggs,fruit pudding, tattie scones and haggis.the haggis is usually a slightly firmer version that the stuff we use as a main course so it keeps it shape whilst being fried,but wonderful stuff none the less.

if you are really lucky and can get some fried Clootie dumpling for breakfast then you really are in heaven.

BTW oatcakes are my emergency travel rations wherever I travel( and I travel a lot) I always carry them.light to pack,long shelf life requiring no refigeration,very tasty and nice with meats ,cheese ,soups but great just on their own followed with a wee nip from my whisky flask I always carry.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,469 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Scottish Breakfast..

BTW Cullin Skink is food of the Gods,unless you get it in my works canteen when it is just OK.

my Mothers side of the family come from Dundee so Arbroath Smokies were standard fare in in my childhood,but sadly now are very difficult to find as available and as fresh as I remember them.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Scottish Breakfast..

I cannot believe no one has mentioned the best Scottish breakfast yet. A cold mince sandwich, white bread, with a thick layer of butter. Failing that an Aberdeen buttery, toasted with even more salted butter. Oatcakes should only be eaten with stovies or thick broth. i say no to oatcakes with cheese or pate.

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Scottish Breakfast..

I enjoyed this post - and have to add my bit. Never been to Scotland - but will be there in September. I am having a problem with envisioning black pudding. What does it taste like? May try it once - but will ask to leave it off if I can't cope. I hate to waste. What is white pudding? Am still debating about haggis - but will probably have a taste. Its funny what different travelers go ugh at. Traveling in Maine -on a tour - some Texans couldn't go for the whole lobster that was served and opted for chicken. I rejoiced at their rejects. I especially like the green liver that tastes like pistacios. I love oysters, clams, and mussles (not raw) I also have a Bambi Complex about venison and while I enjoy breaded veal cutlets - I try not to think about it. Sheep I can handle. At this point Oatcakes sound pretty tame. I promise to do my best!

I would be a veggie - but I like steak and fish too much.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Scottish Breakfast..

Try all of them.

Black pudding is made from pigs blood.

White pudding is made from oatmeal and dripping.

I prefer white personally but enjoy them both.

Ditch all inhibitions and get stuck in!

And yes, an Aberdeen buttery or a rowie is awesome. Especially with cream cheese and smokies on it.

I may have a problem...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,469 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Scottish Breakfast..

this is an old thread ,but relevant and a good bit of fun,hope you enjoy reading it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k2021…

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Scottish Breakfast..

Is Cullen Skink kind of like Boston (white) Clam Chowder? It sounds very good.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Scottish Breakfast..

I'm glad someone eventually mentioned haggis - I've rarely been served a 'proper' Scottish breakfast without it!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,469 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Scottish Breakfast..

Is Cullen Skink kind of like Boston (white) Clam Chowder? It sounds very good.

if it is made with smoked seafood them it may have a similar taste.

this is a recipe for you.

www.scotlandforvisitors.com/cullenskink.php

Scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Scottish Breakfast..

Back to the subject! Berrits and Brown just round the conner from Jurys has wonderful porrage and fantastic bacon from Carluke cooked within an ich of its life. A fastastic cup of coffe also!

Hope you have a wonderful trip!