We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canmore
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Customs

We are going to Scotland in May and are wondering if someone can tell me how long it takes to go through customs at Glasgow International Airport.

We are hoping to be able to get from the international airport to prestwick to catch another flight.

Our flight arrive at the international airport at 7:50 a.m. and the flight from preswick leaves at 10:55 a.m.

Any info would be a help.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
89 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs

It shouldn't take too long to get through Customs and Immigration, although I'm not sure if it's quicker for UK citizens than for anyone else. I've only ever seen about ten minutes' worth of a queue. The slowest part for me always seems to be waiting for baggage to come back on the carousel!

Where are you going from Prestwick and how long before departure are you advised to check in? I think you should probably be fine, especially if it's a domestic flight, because it should only take around half an hour/45 minutes to get to Prestwick from Glasgow Airport.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs

It wouldn't be me!!!

3 hours is very tight IHMO - what if your inbound flight is late - my last transatlantic flight was 2 hours late due to bad weather.

I think that clearing customs is the least of your worries....

Can you reschedule your onward flight? If your onward flight was from Glasgow then I would think yeh you could do that....but Prestwick.

Good luck and I'll be keeping all my fingers crossed for you!

Let us know how you get on as I would be interested to know!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs

If everything goes smoothly you should be ok, but when does it ever go smoothly at airports, lol! There are so many variables.

Once you clear customs, something you can never reliably estimate the timing for, you'll probably be heading in a taxi to Paisley Gilmore train station and heading south to Prestwick. A taxi to the train station from Glasgow Airport will take about five minutes, traffic willing. The train journey takes about 45 minutes to get you right to Prestwick airport. It will be rush hour, but most people will be travelling in the opposite direction.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

To check the train times from Paisley Gilmore to Prestwick Airport go to www.thetrainline.com

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs

ps if you have the option of catching a later flight from Prestwick, its well worth considering.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,132 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs

Guess you are flying Ryanair so you will need minimum 40 minutes check in time at Prestwick. Assuming your flight arrives on time that only leaves you 2 hours and 35 minutes to get through passport control, get your bags and clear customs.

I would say that it will take you at least 30 minutes to get out of the airport, its not very big but would factor that time in. That gives you 2 hours approx toget to Prestwick. Trains leave Paisley at approx 7 & 37 mins past the hour so if you are quick you might catch the 8:37 which would get you into PIK (Prestwick international) at 09:15 so all good and well. There is a walkway from the train platform into the teminal in a couple of minutes. If you miss that train then the one after should also get you there (at 09:45) in time.

If you get the train make sure that you take a printout of your flight details and you will get half price travel (£3 each I think one way).

So unless you are over an hour late late then you should make it. Even if do not get into GLA until 0900 you could always get a taxi to PIK which should take around 45 minutes as most of the traffic will be going the other way.

Where are you going to from PIK? Maybe you could book another later flight as insurance. If its on Ryanair then it might be pretty cheap since you are not travelling until May. That way you would avoid having to pay a lot of money on the day

Anyway IMO you should make it unless there is some sort of catastrophie.

Scotland
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs

Trains for Ayr (Prestwick) leave Paisley Gilmour Street at 11 and 41 miutes past the hour.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
26 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs

Thanks everyone, I am travelling with my sister who posted the question. We were hoping to get to Ireland and spend a 3-4 days there, trace our roots at Armagh, see the Giants Causeway and then back to Glasgow. There is a Ryan Air flight to Derry which seemed like our best bet given the amount of time we have. The ferry and a car will work but it looks like it will take longer to get there. Any other suggestions on how to best make this itinerary work is appreciated.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs

There is a fast ferry from Troon to Larne (just north of Belfast) which might be worth considering. You could pick up a hire car at that end. I think the ferry takes under two hours and Troon is the rail stop just before Prestwick Airport.

www.poirishsea.com/passenger/Larne_Troon.htm

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,132 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs

OK if it was me I would take a flight from Glasgow international to Belfast and pick up a car there. You could get a FlyBE flight at 11:10 and then pick up a car then drive to Armagh. Easy jet also fly this route (although to Belfast International flybe go to the city airport)and as they are both budget airlines you could mix and match the outbound/inbound or even fly back with Ryanair.

canmore
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs

I just want to thank everyone for their help. We will be taking a flight from Glasgow International into Ireland. It is almost the same cost as the ferry. Will let you all know how things work out. We are looking forward to visiting and if the helpfulness of all of you is any indication I am sure our entire trip will be great.