We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sail and Rail to Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sail and Rail to Glasgow

Hi,

I am traveling to Glasgow using the stena sail and rail in a few weeks.

has anyone used this before?

are the trains old and drafty from stranraer to glasgow?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sail and Rail to Glasgow

It's typically this type of train:-

andy-kirkham.fotopic.net/p46247594.html

ireland
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sail and Rail to Glasgow

are there tables on the train?

just trying to figure out if it would be worth my while upgrading.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sail and Rail to Glasgow

This type of train has tables, think you can only get standard class tickets on this route though. If you go to the firstscotrail site they'll have info about seat reservations which I think could be free.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,574 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sail and Rail to Glasgow

IME these trains do not have tables in second class and I don't think that they have first anyway. I tried to get a price on the first scotrail site and it only gave me one class of fare.

I have not taken the train all the way to Stranraer but the one to Ayr does not have tables or first class although they are reasonably comfortable and only dirty if people are too lazy to put rubbish in the bin. Also other Scotrail trains only have four tables per carriage with the rest of the seat all facing forwards or backwards i.e. not facing each other.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sail and Rail to Glasgow

Sadly Stranraer has been downgraded and is only single line beyond Ayr. Glasgow to Ayr is electrified but trains to Girvan and Stranraer are diesel and a bit older. They're still not bad and reasonably comfortable. Similar type is used all over UK on secondary routes. I'm sure standard class only. I remember the dirty steam ones so you're not doing too badly!

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sail and Rail to Glasgow

The half hourly Glasgow to Ayr trains are electric units, the Stranraer ones are deisel. There are tables, but not that many and as I said you can only get standard class tickets.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sail and Rail to Glasgow

Hi sel; You'll just have to sit on the seats instead! Train shouldn't be drafty but boat will be if you're on deck. LOL

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,574 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sail and Rail to Glasgow

Yeah sorry I forgot the electric ones finished at Ayr (or is it Girvin) so they are different rolling stock. My appologies.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sail and Rail to Glasgow

Ronaldo; as posts above; poor old Girvan trains are diesel; quite an uplift as they used to be gas!

10. Re: Sail and Rail to Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 15:16