We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and Bars near One Devonshire gardens

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
190 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants and Bars near One Devonshire gardens

Hi,

We're staying 2 nights at 1 devonshire gardens B and B mid July....and would love some recommendations for nice pubs/ bars within walking distance.

also a nice restaurant in the area ( local cuisine, italian, wine bar all good )

PS: we're going to be waking up early and heading to St Andrews for Sunday British open.

anybody know how long the journey will take by train?

thanks

ST

scotland
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and Bars near One Devonshire gardens

Glasgow's West End has some great places to eat but if you're starting from scratch then you can't go wrong heading for Byres Road (10 minute walk from One Devonshire), the main street of the West End which is littered with bars and restaurants.

I would recommend Trattatoria Trevi (Great Western Road) for Italian, Number 16 (Byres Road) and 'The Ubiqutous Chip' (Ashton Lane) for Scottish fayre, Cafe Andaluz (Creswell Lane) for tapas and Chow (Byres Road) for chinese. If you fancy wandering a wee bit further then head for Firebird (Argyll Street) by Kelvingrove for great pizzas.

But if you're in Glasgow then you MUST go for an Indian. The best place is Mother India on Sauchiehall Street (taxi ride away). But also Mr Singh's (Sauchiehall St) and Cafe India (North Street) are good too.

Also if you head along Great Western Road towards Gartnavel Hospital, just 5 minutes from 1 Devonshire then there are 2 restaurants called Il Stazione and Lux which also serve good food.

But if just take a walk along Byres Road for a choice of lots of places to eat and Ashton Lane for bars and atmosphere.

I live in the West End and love it's village atmosphere with all the benefits of a city so do enjoy!

Also St Andrew's is around an hour and a half by train.

I hope this helps...

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
190 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and Bars near One Devonshire gardens

thanks alimac !

Glasgow
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and Bars near One Devonshire gardens

Previous reply is correct - you are very close to a number of excellent bars and restaurant. For bars - there is Oran Mor which is an old church and you should go in there if onlyto check the excellent architecture - there are sometimes either live music or theatre - its really worth a visit - Oran Mor is basically just next to your hotel....corner of Byres Rd and Gt Western Rd. Go down Byres Rd and into Ashton Lane - a 5 minute walk from your hotel - this is a cobbled pedestrian lane full of bars and restaurants and probably the most popular lane in Glasgow - some v good bars here - Jinty McGinty's, The Lane and Vodka Wodke and Bar Brel!! There is also a good Indian restaurant...

If you go into City Centre - ask for Merchant City - an area again full of what you're after.....to be honest though you have plenty on your doorstep.

Does a train go straight to St Andrews ?? I'd check this....you could perhaps also get a Coach from Buchanan Street....driving to St Andrews from Glasgow is approx 2 hrs..Hope this helps

East Lothian...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and Bars near One Devonshire gardens

Finding nice resturants in that area is no problem - getting to St Andrews by train is a little more fiddly. You need to get a train to Edinburgh, change at Haymarket, then train to Leuchars. This is the nearest station to St Andrews though is about 10 miles away, but I'm sure there will be loads of shuttle buses when the Open is on, and there's a taxi rank at the station-you can prebook taxi from www.visit-standrews.co.uk. Look at www.thetrainline.com for guidance on times but the journey will take about 2.5 hours.

Scotland
Level Contributor
80 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and Bars near One Devonshire gardens

Please look at a Glasgow map to see the location of your hotel, it's at the corner of Great Western Road and Hyndland Road. One of the posts I've read was confusing it with the Hilton, which is at the corner of Gt. W. Road and Byres Road. It's about 15 minutes walk from your hotel along to this corner.

As you walk down Byres road you will find plenty of shops, bars and cafes. For even more choice try the little lanes behind the main street, on the left they are called Cresswell Lane and Ashton Lane and there are restaurants and a 'collectables and antiques' shop called "Relics', in Ruthven Lane off the right hand side of the street.

After checking "Oran Mhor" see "Tennents Bar" at the traffic lights, it's a very old, plain, 'man's bar' if you'd like some Glaswegian authenticity and less students.

Remember a brolly.

Scotland
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants and Bars near One Devonshire gardens

Plenty of choices on here already, but there are also some really good seafood restaurants in Glasgow. My favourite is Two Fat Ladies on Dumbarton Road (about 5-10 minutes in a taxi from your hotel) It is a very small, cosy restaurant with friendly staff and great food. The other two seafood restaurants I would recommend are Gamba and Rogano, both in the City Centre and are also excellent.

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants and Bars near One Devonshire gardens

St ANdrews isnt the easiest place to get to from Glasgow, however i would check on the open golf website - there may be buses running direct from Glasgow.

Copied this from www.opengolf.com

Travel by rail

Golflink provides a convenient way to travel to The Open Championship 2005 at St Andrews from Wednesday 13th until Sunday 17th July inclusive.A Golflink ticket combines rail travel to Leuchars and a bus link to the course for the one inclusive price. Golflink tickets are available from selected ScotRail stations and will be available for purchase from 1st May 2005. An enhanced rail service will be provided. For information on both train times and ticket prices, please call National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 or visit www.firstscotrail.com

Train times are quite frequent from Edinburgh , and takes 1 hour from Edinburgh to Leuchars. You need to get the train from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh, normally one every 15 mins.

Much prefered the Open when it was in Troon last year - so handy when you stay 10 mins from the course ;-)

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants and Bars near One Devonshire gardens

Yes, do give Gambas a try for great seafood.Rococco is also very nice and in the centre of town. The Indian restuarants mentioned are also great. I'm not to keen on any of the Italian restuarants in Glasgow----might be that living in Italy has made me see that they are nowhere near the real thing and so I avoid them-----that said La Parmigiana on G.W.Rd isn't bad.

Near your hotel there is also a restaurant called Stravaigan which is good I think it's in Ashton Lane.

Enjoy your trip to Glasgow it's a fabulpous city with a fabulous atmosphere and even more fabulous people and characters.