We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather late October early November

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
weather late October early November

We will be traveling to Scotland end of October - early November. I realize that it will be chilly and probably rainy, but, can someone be a bit more informative? We live in Chicago - so cold for us in relative!

I know that visitor hours will be cut back, no problem with that, but overall, will there be many sites that will be closed? We enjoy driving out into the country side to see the local and tourist sites, .... will there be plenty to see and do?

Also, one of our days trip will be to Arran - would you all recommend leaving our car in Ardrossan, and just explore the the town of Brodick by foot, or would it be worth the cost to take it on the ferry and drive the island?

Thanks

Carolynn

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather late October early November

Hi

Well, yes, rain is a distinct probability, but its pretty unlikely to be cold by Chicago standards. And rain isn't a certainty by any means. Gorgeous autumn colours are also to be expected, so as long as you're prepared to be flexible with the layers an have an umbrella to hand, you should be fine. It can be a lovely time to see Scotland.

Some visitors sites shut at the end of September, some at the end of October, and some are open all year long - but maybe shut a bit earlier (or maybe not). Its just worth checking which ones you want to see- there will still be plenty open.

Regarding the weather its also worth bearing in mind it is on average drier on the east of Scotland, so whilst I wouldn't abandon the west, spending a bit of time on the east coast will improve your odds of sunshine.

I have to admit I haven't got across to Arran yet - but when I do I'll take some transport - (maybe probably a bike!). However if I was going in October I'd take a car. However I'll be interested to hear what someone who has been...

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather late October early November

Hi there, you're quite right about the possibility of rain and chill, though I don't think it will be as cold as Chicago, unless you're planning on climbing Goatfell mountain on Arran, where you might find some snow. Well it had snow on the top this week anyway.

You'll find plenty of things to do and see, though some places outside of the cities may have limited opening hours. Culzean Castle for example, a national trust for scotland property in rural ayrshire closes for the winter sometime in October, but its grounds remain open and access is then free. In my mind the grounds are as much of an attraction as the castle itself, perhaps more so, and you can still snap away with your camera.

I haven't been to Arran yet, so I can't really help with that bit, I just look at the Island from afar every day, and promise myself I'll go one day.

Glasgow and Edinburgh both have fabulous (and mostly free) museums, historic buildings and plenty of other attractions. October is a lovely time for exploring scotland by car, and the roads won't be very busy once you get out of the city.

:-)

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather late October early November

Autumn colors that late? Wow! Usually here in Chicago the colors are on the way out.

After reading more about the town of Brodick, I think we will need to take the car - and at least drive a bit around the island.

Thanks!

Carolynn

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weather late October early November

weatherwise safe to say dont pack the bikini but you may be lucky - if you get some crisp autume days it will be lovely

id say definitely take the car to arran - the point of scotland is that it is scenic nearly everywhere and you want o get to the best viewing points to appreciate it

look on the caledonian macbrayne (calmac) website for some ferry options - if you are touring around you pop from one island to another and to and from the mainland

Glasgow
Level Contributor
453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather late October early November

Not really got too much to add to the previous posts. Always very hard to call the weather in the West of Scotland. Expect everything (except very warm). As the other contributors say, if you get a nice dry sunny autumn day you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Arran is a delight but DO take the car. I know the ferry may seem expensive but you can't do Arran justice on foot.

I think the main attractions in Glasgow are open all year. Certainly the main city museum at Kelvingrove will be open (and is free) as are the Transport Museum and St Mungo Museum. Plenty of shopping malls if that's your thing. Glasgow Green, Pollok Park and Kelvingrove Park all nice for a stroll if weather permits.

Will never be as cold as Chicago but I think you'll be surprised at how quickly the weather can change !

Was in Chicago a few years ago and it's a wonderful city.

Hope you have a great time in Glasgow.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather late October early November

To get the best out of Arran you really do need a car to do as you please as Brodick is probably the least pleasant part of the island. Acar would let you to see far more of the place at your own pace. Don't miss Lochranza where there are plenty of deer roaming around the ruins of the old castle on the waters edge giving almost the perfect Scottish picture.

If it is too expensive to take a car across there are buses that meet each ferry that allows you to buy a Rover pass that allows you to travel all day jumping on and off as you please. Word of warning though, they are fairly infrequent so be aware of the times otherwise you may find yourself stuck at the wrong side of the island as the ferry disappears back across the Clyde!

7. Re: weather late October early November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow