We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow in Feb.

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow in Feb.

Found some real cheap flights to go to Glasgow in Feb. It there some kinds of catch? Is this off season. How is the weather? What time does it get dark?

Also, my daughter wants to check out the "Punk Scene". Is there one? Also, it is dangerous (I mean some of the neighorhoods. She's only 15, of course her father would be with her.

Thank you!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow in Feb.

Not sure about the punk scene! Perhaps someone else can advise on that...

Well, I'm sitting here in my living room hearing the windows being buffeted by heavy wind and rain. Fair to say that weather-wise, Glasgow in February willbe cold, wet and grey.

According to weatherbase.com (www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3…) average temperature in Glasgow in February is 3°C - although that does seem a bit on the low side.

It will get dark around 1630.

Is that a catch? Much depends on you and what you want to do - it's still a fun city, perhaps less conducive to sight-seeing, though.

As for safety - be sensible and you'll be absolutely fine. There are some unpleasant neighbourhoods, but as a tourist you are unlikely to ever be near them.

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow in Feb.

Thank you so much. We will take that into consideration!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow in Feb.

I'd wait for some "local" knowledge (which I cannot offer) before commiting to an exploration of the punk scene in a large, unfamiliar city. Yes (though I DO love Glasgow), there are certainly some neighborhoods which you'll probably be ill-advised to visit for that purpose. Scots are amongst the friendliest folks on the planet and many young people are extremely polite and well-behaved- that said, you still may come across some rough kids around your daughter's age- Google the words "ned" or "yob" for further elaboration.

As far as the weather; it may be slightly milder in February than in N.J., but hardly balmy and whilst you'll find plenty to see and do year-round, it is not high season. Remember, Scotland is just slightly South (East, of course, as well) of Southern Greenland. In that context, sunrise will be around 8:15 and sunset about 4:45 at the first of February with about two hours more daylight by the end of the month.

If you'll excuse me for saying so, I think you might need to do some more research about a February holiday in Glasgow regardless of cheap flights. It's well-worth the money and time to go, but you may enjoy it a lot more by taking some more time to plan- in addition to waiting until later in the year for your first holiday in that lovely land.

Livingston, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow in Feb.

Thank you for your help. I thought there might be some reason that the flight was so reasonable. I wasn't even going to go on the trip. My daughter is going to go with my husband. I do not like the climate over there. When I go away I want someplace warm.

We are going to do a little research before we commit to anything.

As far as the punk scene, I keep telling her that there is a big enought punk scene in our area (we are 30 minutes from NYC).

Thank you!

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow in Feb.

February is very off-season, but the main attractions in the Central Belt of Scotland we be open, head further out and then I'd phone ahead first.

Feb 1st: SR 8:12am SS 4:49 PM AVhigh 43°F AVlow 34°F AVmean 39°F

Feb 14th: SR 7:46am SS 5:18 PM AVhigh 44°F AVlow 34°F AVmean 39°F

Feb 28th: SR 7:13am SS 5:48pm AVhigh 45°F AVlow 35°F AVmean 40°F

However there is nothing AVerage about our climate I'm afraid; wind, rain, sun, snow, we can do it all in the same day!

You're husband and daughter will find lots to do in Glasgow and as Edinburgh's only a 45min train ride away they should make time to check out the capital's attractions.

Punk scene, mmm, try the site:-

www.punkoiuk.co.uk/gigs/frmgig_town.asp…

www.punkoiuk.co.uk/gigs/frmgig_town.asp…

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow in Feb.

Hi

I suspect most contributors to tripadvisor aren't experts on the punk scene, but I could be wrong.

In February the weather can be ok, but the odds are against you compared to later in the year.

Have a look at www.seeglasgow.com and www.list.co.uk and you will get an idea of what is on and whether it appeals.

Personally I think Glasgow's great anytime of year - and of course Edinburgh is only 40 minutes away by train so well worth spending a day there (it is also a bit likelier to be dry - but maybe with a cold wind instead)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow in Feb.

Hi there, M

y own teen was happily heading with her friends to Glasgow for gigs at the age of 15 and still is, despite my misgivings. Teens in scotland don't give it a second thought and know to be sensible, so with Dad in tow everything should be fine.

Don't know much about the punk scene in particular, but there is a huge Indie music scene, and most music tastes are well catered for. February might not seem like a great time of year, but it is a good time to go and see gigs around the city and West End.

Come in the summer and there won't be so many bands to see, as they tend to head off around europe on the festival circuit, and all the students have gone home! Feb/March is definitely a good time for the music scene.

Glasgow is great for teens, and there is some cutting edge theatre going on which might take her fancy too.

Public transport is a cinch, and with her punk tastes, she might enjoy poking around some of the goth/punk clothing and record shops in the city, or heading out to the quirky second hand/vintage clothing shops in the West End by the University.

The Subway in Glasgow is a small one but it gets you very quickly from the city centre to the West End and vice versa. We're talking minutes here. The Merchant city area is quite popular too.

If you need any more specific advice or recommendations I can consult my teens for you.

Get her to take a look at www.gigsinscotland.com and www.skinnymag.co.uk

It should whet her appetite.

;-)

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow in Feb.

Although the music scene is quite diverse, a lot of venues are 18+.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow in Feb.

Severin, good point, though quite a few places allow over fourteens to the actual gig, just not beyond it for drinks. Places like QMU, ABC, Barrowlands and Carling academy often spring to mind, though I guess you need to check the age restrictions ahead of time and get tickets in advance to be on the safe side.

There are also a number of venues that have special nights where younger teens are allowed. Cathouse is an example and punk is a regular feature there, though Dad might feel a little out of place or not approve:

www.cathouseglasgow.co.uk/nights/voodoo.php

ABC is perhaps one of the nicer venues, and whilst I don't think club nights allow under eighteens, many of the gigs are ok, and punk sometimes features. Heck I even see Siouxie of the Banshees fame on the bill! This URL has their events diary:

http://www.abcglasgow.com/events.html

10. Re: Glasgow in Feb.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 17:17