We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow lighthouse

Leeds in UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow lighthouse

Hello everyone

I will be in Glasgow for a training course at the Lighthouse and can't find a nice,clean and relatively cheap hotel close by. I found Etap which has great price but is about 20mins away. I don't know Glasgow at all and don't know if it will be easy to walk the distance every day especially in the evening. Any information regarding the best areas to walk and have some dinner and see shops (if time permits of course) will be appreciated.

Thank you all so much for your help

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow lighthouse

There is a Holiday Inn Express ( Theatreland) which is on West Nile Street which I think is closer than the Etap - it is probably not as cheap though. I reckon it is about half a mile from W Nile Street to the Lighthouse. That whole are is a mecca for shoppers so I think you will manage to take in a shop or three.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow lighthouse

There is a Holiday Inn Express at the top of West Nile Street, about a ten minute uphill stroll from the Lighthouse.

There are loads of shops & restaurants in the area of the Lighthouse & the hotel.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow lighthouse

There previous poster beat me by two minutes, we must have been responding to your request at the same time.

Enjoy your course.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow lighthouse

Have you tried the Travelodge?

https:/…GlasgowCentral

Its a better location for being close to the city centre amenities, and though its not new and shiny like etap, you might get lucky and find a good saver rate if you are quick.

Will you be bringing a car?

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow lighthouse

Hi

I'm not sure about local hotels but you are central at the Lighthouse, you have Bar Soba next door which is great for food, and just along the lane to the right of the Lighthouse is Buchanan Street which leads up to Buchanan Galleries and Sauchiehall Street or down to Argyle Street, these are the main shopping areas.

If you stick around this area, you are in the centre and you should be safe, if you get lost ask someone for directions, most people are quite approachable and friendly in glasgow :)

I know there is the Radisson which is quite nearby, you may get a cheap room on laterooms.com? Or there is a a Jury's Inn about 5-10 mins walk or so from the Lighthouse and it is pretty central and there is a Premier Inn although i'm not entirely sure of its location.

Have a look at the reviews on here and give us a shout if you want to check the location.

Jen

Leeds in UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow lighthouse

Hello,

No, I am coming to Glasgow by train so I will be mainly on foot. Thanks for all your comments. I will have a look. Is Etap in a quite deserted area?

thank you

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow lighthouse

I think I'm right in saying Etap just south of the river and not in the city centre at all.

Leeds in UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow lighthouse

Hello,

the cheapest hotel I can find is double the price of the Etap so, I think I will give it a go although I might need to take a taxi if it is late.

Thank you for your responses

Leeds in UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow lighthouse

It seems that we all right at the same time.

thank you for the extra info. I will spend some more time looking for something more central then.

Is something going on on the 20th of Feb? There are quite a lot of hotels that are FULL on that evening.

I can't wait to visit the city and visit one or two art galleries.

thank you all for your help

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow lighthouse

Ehhhh, possibly a little football match..Celtic v Barcelona!!!

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow