We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you recommend any good pubs?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
13 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Can you recommend any good pubs?

We're 7 people (30+ years) going to Glasgow in March.

Are there any pubs which differ from the rest in a way - with a distinctive stamp? (We live right next to the central station, but don't mind a taxi ride).

When do the pubs close?

Is there a web site for the Glasgow subway lines?

Thanks!

/Morten

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you recommend any good pubs?

This is the Subway's website

http://www.spt.co.uk/subway/index.html

I'm not very familiar with Glasgow pubs these days.

Have fun

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you recommend any good pubs?

Depends what it is you're looking for with regards to pubs really.

If you want a classic, traditional Glasgow bar The Horseshoe Bar (so named for its enormous horseshoe shaped bar and just a few minutes walk from central station) is a Glasgow landmark and a member of CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale)- http://www.scotland.org.uk/food/horseshoe.htm

Another landmark that has recently reopened is Sloan's Bar in the Argyle Arcade. I haven't been in since it's previous incarnation as The Bastille, but I hear good things. It's another traditional bar with lots of history - it was the pick up point for a horse and carriage to Edinburgh or London and claims to be the oldest bar in Glasgow - http://www.sloansglasgow.com/

On the theme of oldest bar claimants is the Scotia bar on Stockwell Street. A favourite haunt of Billy Connelly in his younger days, very low ceilings and a big ale selection. They don't have a website, but there's a little bit of history here: www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php… It's not too far from Central, but can be tricky to get to if you don't know where you're going - get a cab.

Another good pub is Babbity Bowsters in the Merchant City, great atmosphere and great food too. Basic details here: beerintheevening.com/pubs/…Glasgow

In general, if you're looking for something a wee bit different have a wander around the Merchant City (not far from your accom) where there are hundreds of pubs and restaurants or take a cab over to the west end (c. £5 in a black cab) where you'll find lots of different places to eat and drink.

Most pubs in the city centre will close at midnight every night, although there are a few in the Sauchiehall Street area which have late licenses and may stay open until 3am.

Any more questions, just post back :)

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
13 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you recommend any good pubs?

Thanks a lot to the both of you, for great and useful information.

I love bars, so The Horseshoe Bar was immediately "booked".

One last question: We would like to see one of your castles. We've been doing some browsing on the Internet, and came up with Sterling. It's supposed to be 20 minute by train + a 15 minute walk away from Glasgow. Is this a nice place to go? Would you recommend seeing another castle (near by)?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you recommend any good pubs?

Hi

Yes - Stirling castle is worth a look and is easy to get to by train from Glasgow - Edinburgh castle is another option - also a short train ride away.

For a different pub try the Uisge Beatha - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A701597 for more details!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you recommend any good pubs?

Whoops! Forgot about Usige Beatha - top recommendation, definitely visit it!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you recommend any good pubs?

I wouldn't go to the Sauchiehall St area, even if the pubs are open late. Dont get me wrong, I have, but then regretted it.

The Merchant City/George Sq/West End/South Side are definitely worth considering.

As the thread is about pubs, you must get a kebab, but a good one. Persopalis (sp?) on Battlefield Rd is great.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you recommend any good pubs?

Depends what day you go. Friday/Saturday night are a definite no, but other nights in Sauchiehall Street can be ok, as long as you avoid places like the Sports Cafe, Campus etc. Firewater and Bunker are ok and both open reasonably late.

Scotland
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you recommend any good pubs?

Hi,you could also try dumbarton castle and if your lucky you may even see few boat's or submarines or even a cruise ship sailing down the river clyde.

Dumbarton east station is about twenty minutes from glasgow by train and the castle is about ten minutes walk from the station.

Ps i hope the weather is better then lol.

Frank.

Annan, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you recommend any good pubs?

Hi Tann

There are 2 pubs for every person in Glasgow :-)

Depends what you're looking for really... but I would def suggest you try Ashton Lane (a cobbled street) in the west End just round the corner from Hillhead tube station. There are several pubs in the lane and The Loft is well worth a visit, its the old Grosvenor Cinema there and one of the halls has been converted into a HUGE bar with a great atmosphere - the French Martinis are to DIE for!!! They also do great food.

Bunker in Bath St is also a great bar... looks swanky but is actually very relaxed. Ad Lib in Hope St (near the station) is good for a relaxing drink and The Lab in a wee lane just off Buchannan St is a small but very nice cosy bar. The Arches Cafe Bar (part of The Arches nightclub) is also very chilled and trendy again near to where you are staying.

If you fancy something a wee bit different and like rock music then The Solid Rock in Hope St (near where you are staying) is the place to go or the Catwalk in Union St (its not as scary as the Solid!) and then the Cathouse nightclub also in Union St is great fun :-)

As a previous poster said the Merchant City area has several pubs and restaurants, well worth a wee pub crawl round.

Most pubs are open until midnight and clubs until 3am but some are now pub/clubs so stay open longer.

Hope that helps!

Katt x

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you recommend any good pubs?

Don't think anyone has covered the 2 best pubs for traditional Scottish music at the weekends ..... The Islay Inn and The Park Bar (both on Argyll St, near Kelvingrove) have ceilidh-style music at the weekends - also, the Islay serves one of the best pints of Belhaven I've ever tasted - and I've tasted way too many in my time !!!

Hope you enjoy your stay ....

ally

xx

Get answers to your questions about Glasgow