We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily trip to Perth

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Daily trip to Perth

Hi,

I am new to Glasgow and UK. I am right now staying in Glasgow and want to travel to Perth and back morning and evening for business purpose daily for about a months time. What are the cheap options I have?

Thank you.

Mat

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daily trip to Perth

Cheapest option is www.megabus.com they give a service from Glasgow Buchanan Street to the Broxden Services on the outskirts of Perth. Seems to be £7.50 return per day.

Where do you have to be in Perth, Mat?

If you need to get to the town centre then from the same spot you can use the park and ride bus to get into the town (£1 return) - they run every 10 minutes at peak times.

I work in Perth so if you need any further info just ask. :-)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daily trip to Perth

Your only options are

A) by car which I presume you don't have

B) Trains

C) Bus

Discounting driving a monthly season ticket on the train will be at a guess 250-300 GBP so around 12 pounds a day. You can check this with your local train station and the trains for Perth leave from Queen Street.

By bus with either Scottish Citylink or Megabus.com around 8 pound a day. If you book the Megabus ahead of time then it will be cheaper.

Journey time for the bus will be 1:15 and approx 1Hr for the train depedning on which one you get

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daily trip to Perth

Snap Ronaldo!

Train service to Perth is not wonderful believe you me - not the most frequent service under the sun....I tend to use Dunblane instead but then you need a car.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daily trip to Perth

There's a half hourly service to Perth from Glasgow. I just checked the season ticket price and its a whopping £330.80 a month and that does not guarante you seat. That works out at £15 a day calculating on th basis of 22 working days in a month. Cheap B&B in Perth anyone :-)

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daily trip to Perth

Ronaldo? Are you talking about the trains? If you are can I travel on your train company because I have double checked trainline again and it is not half hourly at all times of the day.

Going back to Glasgow if he misses the 17.10 (assuming he is working business hours) the next one home is 18.12 and then 19.08.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daily trip to Perth

Yeah you are correct. I thought it was funny as I know the Aberdeen train leaves from GQS at 41 past the hour but the other trains only go as far as Stirling or Dunblane. I should know better as I'm from Stirling. There is an extra train in the morning and afternoon but as you say not a great service and don't even get me started on the Sunday service. So 330 quid for an hourly service possibly without a seat. Bargain. What was that about the government's green policy of reducing road journeys again??

Probably the bus is a better option anyway

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daily trip to Perth

Yep - a car is not a luxury up here but a necessity!

When I first came to Comrie in the late 80's there wasn't a bus on a Sunday....

Glasgow
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Daily trip to Perth

Thank you. After going through all the options i found bus to be cheapest, even though time consuming. thank you for all the info.

Glasgow
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Daily trip to Perth

The citylink buses from glasgow buchanan st station should go to perth bus station which is a 5 minute walk from the center of town as opposed to a 30 minute walk/extra bus ride from broxden roundabout. If you book through megabus.com you can see which of these 2 perth destinations your bus will go to. The citylink ones on this route take longer but only by 15/25 mins plus are cheaper and probably closer to your work. I use this service regularly and apart from chronic back pain there aren't any other major drawbacks.

10. Re: Daily trip to Perth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow