We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Party Venue?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday Party Venue?

Okay, I know it's not 'travel orientated', exactly, so I apologise in advance for posting.

However...

I am trying to book a surprise 30th birthday party for my husband and need suggestions for a venue/private function suite hire in Glasgow.

I am looking to invite up to 30 people and would like to provide some food in a buffet style/canape style for this number.

We like relaxed pubs to hang out in, so we would probably look for something similar in the city centre. Nothing too posh. If it helps, I'm not originally from Scotland so I'm totally confused as to where to start. Please don't get mad at me for posting a 'non-travel orientated' post! (I've seen this happen to other people - it's ugly.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

f2s
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1,064 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Party Venue?

Two Fat Ladies at the Buttery (0141 221 8188) came into my mind.

Good staff,good food.

The main restaurant space is pleasant,but they have a new downstairs area that I have not seen but think would do the job.

Yes its a little off center,but the history of it being the oldest restaurant in Glasgow is good.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday Party Venue?

Used to work round the corner from the Buttery, and when the top brass visited from the London office, they were always delighted to dine out there.

Believe it was named Glasgow's top restaurant in a recent poll.

theherald.co.uk/goingout/food/display.var.19…

dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday Party Venue?

Thanks for the suggestion. I assume the drinks selection and price is also comparable to other establishments? We all love a good party!

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday Party Venue?

Sloan's at the Argyll Arcade have a few function rooms as well :-)

http://www.sloansglasgow.com

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday Party Venue?

Sloans looks like it's more up our street. I contacted the other place but they don't do private function suites or anything like that, and indicated it would be quite expensive.

I'll check out Sloans though. I spoke with my husband and asked the age old question, 'what is your favourite pub in Glasgow?' After a fashion, he thoughtfully said, 'probably O'Neill's in the Merchant City...because it always has an atmosphere to it.' After a couple of minutes, in true Glaswegian style he ticked off another 15 bars that were just as good or better than O'Neill's!

Thanks for the input...any other ideas would be welcome!

cork
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday Party Venue?

If you want something laid back i.e. room with a bar, barman, finger food/simple main courses all for a reasonable price, you could try Waxys on West George Street. We did something similar and it worked out well.

www.waxyoconnors.co.uk/glasgow/party.asp

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday Party Venue?

I know friends who attended a retiral party upstairs at Babbity Bowsters in the Merchant City and said they would thoroughly recommend it. Staff provided a finger buffet according to the party-goers specified price range per head and had barstaff on the upstairs bar. Might be worth a call too and you could pop round to Arta afterwards if you don't want to stop partying at 12.

Scotland
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday Party Venue?

Gizzis restaurant on Cambridge Street (used to be Bistro du Sud) is fab. I held my mums 50th birthday bash there, we had a dj in and they did an amazing buffet for us and let us decorate it all etc. It was fab. ood is brilliant too. My mate is having her hen do in there next month so shes booked it out also. Its a great wee place and perfect for 30 people

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthday Party Venue?

Agree with Waxy's plus check out The Corinthian. I attended a party there recently and the food was great.

Private room with bar, great location for trains and taxis.

Emelda

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birthday Party Venue?

I like the Corinthian - been at a couple of private functions there and was pretty impressed. Found this website which gives ideas of their Private Function Menus

socialanimal.co.uk/site/content/default.asp…