We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

Is there a private car transfer service that could take us from Glasgow to the Airth Castle near Stirling? We will be spending a night at the castle and really do not want to rent a car.

Thanks!

Carolynn

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

We have 2 types of taxi in Glasgow.The black cabs which can pick up on the street and private hire cabs which have to be booked by phone and are ordinary cars.

Phone one or two private hire companies for a quote for your journey.Whoever you are staying with in Glasgow will tell you who to contact.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

I'd say Airth Castle Hotel was closer to Falkirk than Stirling so here's a couple of Falkirk Taxi firms that have websites:-

http://www.brucetaxis.co.uk/

www.totaltravel.co.uk/link.asp?fid=631201

By Glasgow do you mean from Glasgow International Airport or the city centre?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,385 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

As a rough guide around £40 for a taxi to Stirling. I see from your previous posts that you are staying at the Marriot. The should be able to call a reputable private hire company or give you some numbers. Did you give up on the idea of hiring a car then?

You can actually do this fairly easily by train from Queens Street station. Take the train to Larbert (ie one that goes towards Stirling) and take a taxi from there. Train will be approx £6 each and a taxi the other end maybe £10

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

imwmn913,

Agree the train is a pretty easy option, but if that doesn't appeal for whatever reason, my suggestion would be to book a Falkirk taxi company. Reason being I think the Glasgow firms will be dearer.

I've just phoned Bruce taxis and they will charge circa £44.00 to collect you from the Mariott and take you to Airth Castle (price assumes mid day collection).

Ask the hotel to get you a quote for a Glasgow firm.

Hope this helps.

Emelda

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

Thanks all!

Yes,originally we were going to rent a car, but with gas prices out of sight, we've re-worked some of out plans and will just use trains and buses. It won't be exactly the same - to be able to get to places and just 'wander' but sacrifices will have to be made.

Some of you said to contract with a Falkirk taxi - will they come to our Glasgow Marriott from there to take us to Airth? Being from Chicago - that is like asking a taxi from one of our northern suburbs coming to us in the southern 'burbs..... and their answer would be "Are you nuts?"!! And, actually we would then need a ride from Airth back to Glasgow Airport.

Since this would also be at the end of the trip, and we will have large suitcases.... we really didn't want to schlep them on the train. (We will already be doing that between Glasgow to Edinburgh - but at the beginning - where we will have more energy!)

I will be contacting the Marriott with other questions, but I really wanted to get this transfer settled prior to leaving the US.

Can you clarify more on the Falkirk taxi idea??

Thanks!

Carolynn

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,385 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

It won't be a problem re the taxi whether you get one from Glasgow or from Falkirk whichever way you do it the taxi will have to make a return journey to/from Glasgow anyway so it makes no difference to them.

Are you sure you don't want to think about hiring a car for a day, especially if you need a return trip the next day, it will work out cheaper than two taxi's by around £30 at least.

If you do go for the taxi you should mention that you need a return trip the next day and negotiate a good rate.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

Arnold Clark offer one way rental hire and have branches throughout Scotland. http://www.arnoldclarkrental.com/

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

Hi Carolynn. The company I work for here in Glasgow will be only to happy to quote you a price for the Glasgow Marriott-Airth Castle transfer. Delighted to drive you there myself!

However, as TripAdvisor do not allow me to name them on this forum, I will happily respond with all relevant information if you care to PM here.

Tony.

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

Tony,

Yes, I would be interested in a quote. I believe you can email me via tripadvisor that would be a private message.

I will do the same.

Carolynn

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,385 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private car transfer Glasgow to Stirling

Ah TA bringing people together. Warms your heart :-)