We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

We will be staying at the Marriott for 2 nights in August.

Are there places to eat nearby - within walking distance?

How about eating at the Marriott itself? I imagine it is expensive.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

The Marriott is perhaps 15-20 mins walk from city centre restaurants,or a short cab ride.

One that is closer is the Ho Wang,York St,described as "arguably Glasgow's best known Chinese retaurant"

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

Two Fat Ladies at the Buttery is just a two-minute walk from the Marriott, and very nuch worth checking out in my opinion.

http://www.twofatladiesrestaurant.com/buttery

Glasgow
Level Contributor
46 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

Yes there are plenty of food places within a 10 minute walk.

Along from the hotel there is a Thai restaurant on Argyle street, just before this across the road theres a nice little restaurant on the corner which also serves great food. As mentioned above the next block and down a little is a fab Chinese called the ho wong.

If you head up a couple of blocks towards Bothwell street you will find a few nice places for dinner too.

The food in the Marriott is not bad but can be expensive for what it is.

Also along the road is a small tesco supermarket so you can get snacks etc

UK
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

A 20 minute stroll east along Argyle Street will take you to the Merchant City area of the city where there are several great places to eat. A few of my favourites in the area are Guy's Restaurant in Candleriggs, The Merchant City also in Candleriggs, The Italian Kitchen on Ingram Street and Pancho Villas on Bell Street.

A good website for checking out and booking restaurants online is www.5pm.co.uk

Bon appetit!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

Try looking on 5pm.co.uk.

They have special deals on loads of restaurants in Glasgow (even on weekends).

I have used them several times and had some great meals at great prices.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

Hi

Agree re 5pm - another good website is www.list.co.uk - gives you good reviews of eating options.

Would second recommendation of Ho Wong, though is a while since I've been there. Thai Siam is a good option not too far away on Argyle street. Also Bombay Blues is a reasonable indian, not too far away

You could also take the commuter train to the west end (from Anderston to Partick) - trains leave about every 10 minutes or so - giving you a huge choice of eating out options:

Paperinos for pizza and past

Cafe Andaluz for Spanish

Roastit Bubbly Jocks for Scottish (and near Partick station)

Number 16 - very good food.

THe Bothy - good Scottish food.

Balbirs - an excellent curry house

Hope this helps

Brisbane
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

Thank you all for your helpful replies - wish we were staying longer so we could try them all1

Glasgow
Level Contributor
274 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

Go with 2 fat ladies at the Buttery, its very close and its excellent. Guys is rubbish in my opinion, the food isnt fresh and the menu is huge, always a bad sign!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

I read your comments about my restaurant with astonishment. "Guys is rubbish in my opinion, the food isnt fresh and the menu is huge, always a bad sign!! " On what facts do you base your opinion? To say our food is not fresh is completely false. Our fish, meat, fruit and vegetables arrive daily, every dish on our menu is made from scratch on the premises. Our menu is one page, look in any Italian, Indian or Chinese restaurant menu and you have page after page of dishes. What we have is a huge variety of styles, each and every one cooked to perfection. We haven't won The List Reader's Restaurant of the year 2008/2009 by serving food that is anything short of sparkling. You say you are a food critic, where are your reviews published? Your views are in stark contrast to the glowing reviews Guy's has received recently in The Sunday Times, Scotland on Sunday, Herald on Sunday, The Daily Record, The Metro, The Glaswegian and The List to name but a few. So please tell me about your visit to my restaurant, what you ate, the service and if you voiced your disquiet to any member of my staff or even to me? I look forward to your reply. Guy

Glasgow
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to eat near the Marriott in Glasgow

Dear Kirsty,

I was hoping you would have responded to my earlier emai and I am disappointed you have not. I am astounded by your remark that our food is not fresh, an outrageous claim. Please clarify this situation. Regards, Guy