We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to East Dunbartonshire

London
3 posts
Save Topic
Moving to East Dunbartonshire

Hi all, am new to these forums - have been reading the Glasgow forums for some time now. I am looking for some advice re living in East Dunbartonshire. I will be re-locating for work and will be based in this area. Where are the best places to live? I hear Bearsden and Milngavie are really nice. Anywhere else (that are probably slightly cheaper)?

Thanks

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to East Dunbartonshire

Hi there

Check out Kirkintilloch or Lenzie they are both nice and slightly cheaper that Bearsden or Milngavie.

Bishopbriggs is more mixed area but has some good areas.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to East Dunbartonshire

It depends on what you want, whether you'd like to live in the suburbs, out in the country or somewhere with shops and cafes you can walk to - one of the nice things about East Dunbartonshire is that you have the choice.

Bearsden and Milngavie are both v. prosperous suburbs with nice houses and gardens, although often to get to either shops or countryside you will have to drive - they are also not cheap.

Another option is Glasgow itself - I guess the west would be handiest for you - it tends to have more flats, but also handy for parks, and eating and drinking options.

Further north you have some nice countryside options - Lenzie is certainly a popular one.

Have a look on www.gspc.co.uk - it lets you search by map, so you can see what you get for your money in different places. www.upmystreet also gives you profiles of what each postcode is like - for example www.upmystreet.com/local/my-neighbours/neighbourhood-profile/l/G61+2SU.html gives a profile for part of Bearsden.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to East Dunbartonshire

Thanks for the information, it's very helpful. I am not too bothered about living somewhere with lots of bars etc, just a handful of restauarants etc. After living in London for a long time, I think it is time for some country, so am also not too bothered if I go rural!

I keep receiving very mixed reviews about certain areas (I have friends from Glasgow), they said some areas are a bit dodgy? Lenzie, Milngavie and Bearsden seem to come out on top.

Thanks for all your advice, it's been really helpful!

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to East Dunbartonshire

Where is your new job based?

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to East Dunbartonshire

From my soubriquet, you'd guess I may be biased in this one, and I am. I'd say Bearsden has the edge over the likes of Milngavie and Lenzie, but if I had a lesser budget yet still sought the best for my cash, I'd opt for a Wimpy-built house in Bishopbriggs - one near the sports centre.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to East Dunbartonshire

Hi, my job is based all over East Dunbartonshire/City Centre. I think I will scout around others areas too, have already looked at Milngavie and Bearsden and thought they were lovely. I will give Lenzie a go too - sounds nice. One of my friends told me Bishoppriggs and Lennoxtown were a little rough around the edges, is this correct?

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,333 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to East Dunbartonshire

Having lived in both Bishopbriggs and Lenzie (my eldest still lives there) Lenzie is nicer and has one of the best schools in the area (don't know if that affects you or not) although it can be expensive. Nothing wrong with Bishopbriggs though really. Lenzie also has a mainline train station with half hourly train service to Glasgow Queen street and good bus connections. Kirkintilloch is basically co-joined to Lenzie and can be a little cheaper although you don't say if you are renting or buying. If you are single and want an apartment then Kirkintilloch has more of that type of accomodation and also plenty of shops. There is also a brand new sports centre although its as close to lenzie as Kirky

If you are looking for a more village feel then take a look at Torrance which is just north of Lenzie/Kirky and further out is Milton of Campsie.

I guess its just a case of seeing what you can afford and tailoring your needs to that.

TA will probably close this thread down though as relocation is apparently against posting guidlines.

Good luck

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to East Dunbartonshire

My son lives in Milngavie, which was voted the best place to live in the UK (or was it Scotland?)

It is a really nice place and my oldest grandchild goes to the primary school there, which is excellent. I must say that Milngavie has a lot going for it if you can afford to stay there.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to East Dunbartonshire

If new houses are your thing, you might want to consider the following areas of Cumbernauld (Craigmarloch, Balloch/Eastfield, Blackwood, Smithstone, Broadwood) which are about 2 to 3 miles from Kirkintilloch and walkable to Croy station with its regular services to Stirling, Edinburgh and Glasgow. House builders are currently offering lots of incentives, ones in the area are Persimmon, Dawn, Barratt and Walker, for resale go to rightmove and search on the postcode area G68.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to East Dunbartonshire

There are some smaller villages nearby if you want a real rural setting. These are all lovely places to stay and within relatively easy reach of the city.

For example, Strathblane, Blanefield, Croftamie, Drymen, Killearn and Milton of Campsie. Actually it's hard to go wrong in this area.