We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quick one on rucksack wrapping

glasgow
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
quick one on rucksack wrapping

anyone know if glasgow airport has one of those cling film wrapping things for bags? i have a rucksack with loads of straps and no cover, and i want it to stay intact after going through 3 airports!

cheers

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,822 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quick one on rucksack wrapping

From Glasgow Airports website:

Excess and unaccompanied baggage

The Excess Baggage Company provides a range of baggage services, including forwarding of excess or unaccompanied baggage (within the UK or worldwide), bag wrap, and storage. It offers express, premium and economy services. Visit the Excess Baggage Company website for full details of its fully covered unaccompanied baggage services.

That said, it might be easier and cheaper to buy a roll of heavy duty cling film from the supermarket, or a heavy duty bin bag that you can tape up.

:-)

Elie, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,391 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quick one on rucksack wrapping

Maybe it would be wiser to get a cover. I happened to notice loads on Amazon tonight when I was looking at luggage...

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quick one on rucksack wrapping

I have never noticed any wrapped baggage being checked in at Glasgow, so either you can't wrap it, or it isn't very popular...

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,348 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quick one on rucksack wrapping

I have never seen a wrapping machine at GLA airport.

Normally for large rucksacks they will check you in and then get you to take the bag to the outsize baggage desk. Get some duct tape if you want to tape up the loose straps.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quick one on rucksack wrapping

I agree with the duct tape suggestion. The only bag I've "lost" in years of travel was a rucksack at Glasgow airport.

A sympathetic person at Heathrow explained the straps would have caught on the belts or something, and the best thing is to tape them securely. This has been succesful for about 10 years.

6. Re: quick one on rucksack wrapping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 13:19