We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay?

We will only be here for one day. What part of the city would you recommend staying at to be close to attractions,etc??? We will be there at the end of July! Thanks!

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

It would depend on what your tastes are. What do you like, museums, art galleries, the science centre, parks, pubs, restaurants?

But having said that, Glasgow is a pretty small city and you can walk between a few of the attractions. Others are within easy reach by bus, subway or taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,962 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

If you want to stay in the leafy West End close to the University, Kelvingrove Museum, Transport Museum, great independent shops, Botanic Gardens and a quality selection of pubs and restaurants then The Alamo Guest House is one of the more popular places to stay.

Plenty of reviews for it here on TA if you care to take a peek, and TA member Shailey was there literally a few days ago and reported back already:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k2078…

http://www.alamoguesthouse.com/

If you prefer to be in the bustling city centre, then you're spoiled for choice so its a good idea to give an indication of budget, likes and dislikes.

cheers

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Loads of choice in the centre, depending on your budget. There are a number of dependable chains that have good locations - Holiday Inn express or premier inn are both fine. Jurys Inn is a good central location. The Carlton George on George square could not be more central - though haven't actually stayed in it. I'd probably go for one of these. The Malmaison has more character but is a bit less central and a bit more expensive.

Mentioned in this post
George Square
George Square
1,063 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

I would second The Carlton George - as was said, it couldn't be more central with everything Glasgow has to offer right on your doorstep.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,833 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

I stayed in an attic room in the Argyle Hotel (not guest house which is across the road) on Sauchiehall Street last week and really liked it. It's small but with a bar and restaurant and close to the art gallery etc.

I also stayed at the budget chain Thistle Hotel which is very central and close to the main area of shops, pubs & restaurants etc.

Thistle was fine but definitely budget eg never enough staff on reception so often big queues, very overpriced extras like internet and breakfast. But I've stayed there before and would again because of the location. (And the refurbished room with very modern and stylish.)

Mentioned in this post
Sauchiehall Street
Sauchiehall Street
295 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
6. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2008, 16:53
7. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 03:17