We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Braehead - is it really good?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Braehead - is it really good?

Have been to Glasgow quite a few times but have never been to Braehead Shopping Centre. Is it worth going - what shops have they got there? Is there a bus to it from George Square area? Thanks!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Braehead - is it really good?

I hate shopping so can't comment on one from the other but hope this helps.

www.braehead.co.uk

also

www.silverburn.com

Emelda

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Braehead - is it really good?

As shopping malls go it's just another shopping mall to me but them I don't like shopping. There are however other things going on over there.There is ice skating, curling, the Xscape centre with an indoor ski slope and a maritime museum so it's probably worth a visit, especially on a rainy day.

See http://www.braehead.co.uk/ for full information about the centre and travel, etc.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Braehead - is it really good?

Sorry Emelda. I posted at the same time as you.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Braehead - is it really good?

As shopping malls go I think Braehead is quite attractive.It has the usual Marks/BHS/Primark/Sainsbury and there is an Ikea next door.

Arriva buses 23 and 25 from Union St beside Central Station will get you there.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Braehead - is it really good?

It has got quite a few of the standard chain stores there and some big furniture shops (Next, Ikea). Depends on what sort of shopping you want. As the other posters say there is also Xscape there with snow slope, climbing wall etc and a few more outdoorsy shops.

I go there when there is something I particularly want from one of the shops there, but for general shopping (and for shops you won't see in every high street/mall in Scotland) I'd tend to go to Glasgow itself.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,783 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Braehead - is it really good?

I've been to Braehead a couple of times, but I don't really give the place a second thought these days as its easier to just go to Glasgow city centre shops for me.

I suppose its handy for when the weather is really bad though. I do enjoy having a wander around Xscape next door where there is a good selection of restaurants and bars, a cinema, snowzone and other entertaining activities, including a few shops selling outdoor/sporting goods.

I quite like Silverburn, but I guess it depends on what you are wanting to buy. Massive Tesco there too, and its also easy to get to by bus from the city.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Braehead - is it really good?

Thanks to everyone who replied!

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Braehead - is it really good?

Braehead only really comes in to it's own if you have children under two.

They consulted with a group of mums at the construction stage and as result it is very well equipped with a feeding room (with bottle warmers),

a cosy breast feeding area,very good changing areas as well as a play areas and loads of other child friendly extras.

Apart from that the shops are very much bog standard and I do prefer shopping in town now.

That said with a baby in tow it is a Godsend and this is reflected with the number of prams and buggies meandering around (in my case causing general havoc.)

If you are looking to experience Glasgow with out little kids then I would stick with the excellent shops and bars in the city centre.

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Braehead - is it really good?

hi

working in the city centre, i do like a break now and again as i don't really want to spend my weekend in town when i'm there all week. I usually end up at Braehead, we go to Ikea for breakfast first thing (great for the price!) and then go over to Braehead, stopping in at some of the bigger stores on our way over. Or we go to Xscape for lunch (usual chains - Pizza Express, china Buffet King, TGI Friday's, Nandos, Tony Roma's, Franky & Benny's, Ma Potters, Chiquito's) and then head over to Braehead for a wander.

I'm not a great shopper but it serves a purpose for me when i know exactly what i'm going for and when i don't want to go into town.

So over all it is a good alternative to town, the free parking is just on the door step which is handy, the bus station is right at one entrance which is also handy. there is a decent sized M&S, Next (Home/Kids/ladies & gents), BHS, Sainsbury's, Argos, Primark etc. It's also opened later than town which is great. both town and braehead serve a purpose but i wouldn't say that it offers anythign different to the town centre so i wouldn't make a special trip, the shops that you find there are available in the city centre :) Silverburn, The Fort and Braehead are more for those that don't want to come into town and don't want to endure the M8 in getting there but they all pretty much have the same stores (with the exception of one or two)

hope that helps!

jen

10. Re: Braehead - is it really good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 10:21