We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying for a gig

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Staying for a gig

I've done a wee bit of research, but thought I may aswell ask someone in the know what they think the best idea is.

I live near Aberdeen, and am coming down for 2 Idlewild gigs in December on consecutive nights (17th & 18th). The plan is to drive down after work on the 17th, stay over night and drive back home after the gig on 18th.

Now, the thing I'm worrying about is what to do with my car. The gig is at King Tut's and their website says there is not much street parking available. Doors open at 8:30 so I would probably have time to dump my car where we're staying and then get to the gig if I had to.

So here's our options - I think - and the problems with them.

*Stay in a city centre hotel that has car parking (does this exist?) Then what do I do with my car once we've checked out on the morning of the 18th until the gig finishes?

*Stay in a B&B/guesthouse further out which has parking, but then have to get there after the gig (11:30ish), plus get out of Glasgow.

*Stay with a friend on the South Side (I think Mount Florida is the nearest train station). This may have the same problems as above, and is the opposite side of town we need to be for getting back to Aberdeen.

Money is a wee bit tight, and I really don't like driving in Glasgow, but there's no other way of getting back to Aberdeen at that time of night.

Phew, I know this is a big post, but can anyone advise me on what they think is the best thing to do?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying for a gig

I'd stay with your friend in Mount Florida. The last train from Central Station to Mount Florida station is 10 past midnight and you would save loads on a hotel and parking. Even if you don't make that train and need a taxi you would still spend less than on a hotel for two nights.

Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying for a gig

Yeah, it definitely works out as the cheapest - which is good!

My only concern with that is, we have to get to Mount Florida after the 2nd gig and then drive all the way back to Aberdeen.

Is getting out of Glasgow from the South side going to add loads of time onto the journey? We both have to be up at 6:30 the next day you see.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying for a gig

At that time of night the roads should be really quiet. You don't say exactly where you are staying but basically you want to get onto the M8 east bound and head straight out of Glasgow. I wouldn't have thought it would add much time to your journey.

If you let us know where your friend is, we can give exact directions or I imagine your friend can advise.

Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying for a gig

Bother - staying at my friend's flat has fallen through.

What's the best idea now?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying for a gig

Hi

There is not much street parking available near King Tut's during the day but after 6pm the street parking nearby in Blythswood square and surroundings is free - so if you drop your car off in Blythswood square before the gigs you can pick it up after and drive off to your b&b or back to Aberdeen.

If you do decide to leave the car beside a b&b there are trains until late from nearby Charing Cross..

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying for a gig

hi, there is a hotel at springfield quay which is not expensive and it has parking too, it is very rarely full so i don't think they would have an issue with you leaving the car there all day (i know people who leave there car all day as its free and they don't stay at the hotel!). if they do have an issue, there is free parking at the quay so you could just leave the car there until you are ready to pick it up (i park there all day every day and walk into the city centre). the hotel is the Etap hotel, i think its about £33 a night or there abouts, your only issue then would be getting from the quay to and from king tut's, you could either catch a bus on paisley road (there is a bus stop right outside the hotel), walk it or you could catch the tube at shields road.

hope this helps a bit :)

have a great time!

Jen

7. Re: Staying for a gig

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 20:37
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow