We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

This forum has not had a recent posting so hopefully this may be read by someone and responded to. My daughter is looking for a venue for her wedding in 2010. We were thinking about either the Lodge on Loch Lomond or the Cruin? Any advice/comments? Many thanks.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

Hi Peter

Thanks for the posting and confirmation about Ross Priory. I have had mixed reports about Cameron House- also I believe they are expensive- well more so than the Lodge or the Cruin.

I have been advised to pay careful attention to the cancellation clauses of any venue we do decide on.

Yes- early consideration about who will perform the ceremony is important- I think civil will be what my daughter wants.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

I'm local and I have attended weddings in the Cruin, the Lodge on the Loch and the Cameron House. IMHO the Cruin is the best with all things being considered.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

Thanks for the advice- we are visiting both the Lodge and the Cruin tomorrow- most people who have posted or advised on this site share your opinion of the Cruin being better. So looks like that venue has the edge for now.

Thanks for posting.

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

Hi there, I am also local and agree wholeheartedly with the last poster, IMHO the Cruin is by far the best of the options available.

I have no connections with either of the venues and don't believe that I know (for sure)the previous poster.

LOL, it is a small town!

I have attended many functions at each of the venues have been put forward for consideration and would place Cameron House way down at the bottom of the list if you are looking for any sort of friendly intimacy at all.

It is only IMHO but I do think that unless you have came into very considerable amounts of readies and are having an open bar then it is not reasonable to ask guests to pay the costs charged there for drinks as I don't consider the standard of service at Cameron House justifies the prices.

That said the wedding is all about the bride and I am sure that you and your daughter can spend some fantastic quality time checking out venues together.

I do hate to muddy the waters even further but there is another option that you may want to consider putting to her.

The registrar in West Dunbartonshire will conduct weddings anywhere within reason and there has been the odd wedding on the Silver Marlon (with the boat suitably decked out)on the Loch with receptions held at Inchmurrin Island.

This may not be to her tastes at all but I would hate not to suggest it if she wants something a bit different.

I am sure that you will have a fair idea of what she wants and be she will be over the moon with a mum who is helping her and her future husband out to this extent.

Hope both weddings go well, mine was this summer.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

How kind of you to post such detailed comments. Well we (my husband and I, my daughter and her fiancee) visited Lodge and The Cruin this weekend and while we very much liked the personal and warm touch at the Cruin- unfortunately, the lack of accommodation on site poses a problem. I think if we were living more locally then this would be an excellent venue- for the personal touch. However we come from all over and outwith Scotland so would need somewhere to stay on site - for changing, gearing up etc.. Also there are some older relatives that would prefer accessibility to the venue- gosh, so many considerations. My daughter wanted the area as her grandad was very fond of Loch Lomond and her dad spent many happy days sailing with his father round the many islands of the loch- so Inchmurrin would have been a stunning possibility if not for the older relatives- and at a good price too.

We are going to check out Ross Priory from a previous suggestion- have you any views about this venue?

We are actually having fun visiting the different venues and because the wedding is not till October 2010- we are a little more relaxed and not panicking at having to snap up a venue. We still have some time to pick and choose.

Thanks again for your time and comments in posting.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

Forgot to say, the jury was out for us regarding the Lodge. The wedding package expects you to book 17 Munro rooms- which I personally did not think was that great(apart from the views). Each room is discounted to £145 and frankly, I could not expect guests to pay that. Also there Graham rooms at £99 per night is actually nicer. However, my daughter was keen on the Lodge- I think she was wowed by the views. However, we need to think of the guests too...so we will keep looking. Have not ruled it out but not going for it at this stage either.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

Hi ScottishPrincess, We had the same problem with the Cruin. My daughter lives in Glasgow and most of her future inlaws are spread about the Glasgow area, Scotland and the rest of the World.

The Cruin does have one three bedroom lodge, which is included in the price for the bride and groom so that's them sorted. It is only two miles from Balloch (five minutes in a taxi) where there is a wealth of B&B and hotel rooms all at less than half what you pay in the Lodge on the Loch. A taxi from the Cruin to Balloch is under a fiver so we don't see the lack of accommodation as a problem.

Best of luck in your search.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

Hi Alex

Many thanks for your post yesterday. I agree that a reception at the Cruin means there are a range of accommodation possibilities nearby to suit all budgets. However, my daughter and her fiancee did not like the Cruin- her dad and I did but I guess it is not our day.

Off to see Ross Priory in a week's time.

At the end of the day, I think compromises will need to be made and we won't get the perfect fit but we should go for the ones that tick the most boxes.

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

I have attended events, but not a wedding at the Ross Priory and the location is lovely.

You would probably have to run a bus(or two).

The menu's are fab though.

Hope you are having fun having a look at venues.

There is also a wedding fare locally once a year might be handy for the fine detail for her.

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Wedding at Cruin or Lodge on Loch Lomond?

Sorry Scottish Princess, I just realised the wedding is 2010. Boturich Castle may fit the bill for you and is only five minutes away from Balloch.

The views are the best of the Loch that there are.