We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe area to stay for solo traveller

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safe area to stay for solo traveller

Hi all

I am looking to spend a couple of nights in Glasgow in August, which I am aware is probably peak tourist season. I am a 30 yr old female and will be either travelling on my own, or possibly with a female friend. What areas in Glasgow should I be looking at for accommodation if I am after somewhere safe and easy to get to and from? I am looking at travelling by rail so somewhere that is also convenient for the station would be nice, if that's possible!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe area to stay for solo traveller

The city centre is compact and perfectly safe.Having a look at the hotel reviews on this forum will give you an idea of what's available.

Some usual recommendations are-

Radisson SAS,Argyle St.

Jury's Inn,Jamaica St.

Carlton George,West George St.

Premier Inn,George St.

Express by Holiday Inn,West Nile St.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe area to stay for solo traveller

Hi

You've had some good advice from kenko regarding the city centre, which would be a good choice.

Jurys Inn is one of the handiest for the station - the room I stayed in overlooked the platforms (and with triple glazing I didn't hear a peep). It is in a good location, and though not particularly characterful is fine for a modern city centre hotel.

Another option is the west end, easily accessible by underground. Here you have the choice of hotels or self catering - such as Heritors residences, just overlooking the botanic gardens.

They are mentioned, as are a number of other options on studystay.com/city/accommodation_glasgow.htm

Have a great trip!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe area to stay for solo traveller

city centre, west end or southside (shawlands) are all ok places to go. Personally I prefer Shawlands as the city centre can be full of idiots at times... hmm not selling my city!

Anywhere is safe, as long as you keep a note of your woman esp. I wander around a lot on my own and the places Ive felt that niggle of oh dear is mainly areas near to train stations/bus stations etc, East end, same places in most cities really. You'll be ok, and if you need a guide just holler.

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe area to stay for solo traveller

Thanks for all the advice guys! Unfortunately I am having to cancel my trip for this year but I will keep it in mind for the future and pass it onto my friend who is still looking at heading over there!!

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe area to stay for solo traveller

Oh and thanks also to mykitten for your lovely offer :-)

6. Re: Safe area to stay for solo traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 10:23
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow