We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from London to Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from London to Glasgow

Hello! My husband and I plan to drive from London to Glasgow in late April. We want to drive because we can stop and go as we please. We are from the US and think it will be an experience to drive on the other side of the road :)

Can anyone tell me of any castles or any historical buildings on this drive? We plan to drive thru Hinckley. We want to stop off at the Triumph factory.

Any advice will help.

Thanks much!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from London to Glasgow

The M6 and M74 motorways get very busy at peak icular, try to avoid Friday afternoons/evenings and Sunday evenings if you can.

Warwick Castle is not too far off route.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from London to Glasgow

I always travel on a Sunday evening lol. Find it the quietest time on our overloaded roads.

I'd stop in the Lake District if I were you. Come off the M6 at Penrith and turn left toward Keswick. Beautiful !!!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from London to Glasgow

Don't know of places to stop I'm afraid, but my piece of advice would be that if you are travelling at a busy time, then the few pounds you can pay to travel on the M6(toll) and avoid Birmingham is an absolute bargain!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from London to Glasgow

You could spend all day at Warwick and Kennilworth Castles and you haven't even got to Birmingham yet! Couple of historic houses near the M6 motorway: Tatton Park and Knowsley Hall

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from London to Glasgow

As posted in response to your request on the London forum ...

How long are you planning to take to travel this route? All in one day? Then my advice would be don't stop just drive straight through - it's at least seven hours, probably more for a novice UK driver.

Take up two days or more? Then there is lots you can see and do.

Please advise your timescales (you say you can stop and go as you please but not how long you have to do it) and we'll all come up with much more relevant information ...

6. Re: Driving from London to Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow