We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Loch Lomand

Toronto
Level Contributor
94 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
More Loch Lomand

Hi. We're visiting Glasgow this weekend, staying at the Cameron House, and I'm wondering if there are boats tours that go out onto Loch Lomand. If so - is it worthwhile? Or is it best enjoyed from the shore this time of year. We'll have a car and are planning on exploring the countryside.

Also - Good food near the Cameron House? Doesn't need to be fancy - just good. (It doesn't even need to be close by, if it's really good)

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More Loch Lomand

Just a couple of miles south of Cameron House,at the end of the Loch,is a large (and good) retail centre called Lomond Shores.

Beside it is the main Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Centre, with tons of information on the area. Some boats go from around there, but I don't know if they are running at this time of year. The Visitor Centre should be able to help. There's also a daily boat that visits the loch's islands delivering the post. You can join it, but I don't have the details of the route.

The Centre is well worth dropping into - even just to see The Maid of the Loch, and its only a minor detour.

One superb place I know to eat is the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar. Most of the produce is hauled out of the loch across the road,and it supplies top restaurants all over the world.

The road to it is also very scenic. Drive through Arrochar, and turn up a narrow glen. At the top is a pass - The Rest and Be Thankful. Well worth stopping at the car park there and taking in the views. The Oyster Bar is about 20 minutes further on and the lovely little town of Inverary about about 15 minutes.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More Loch Lomand

www.balmahaboatyard.co.uk/mailboat.html

That's the information on the mailboat.

I also read here -

lochlomond-trossachs.org/visiting/inchcaillo…

that one of the islands is a nature reserve and you can get a boat to it , on demand, year round(from Balmaha).

Macduff, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More Loch Lomand

Dont go anywhere near Lomond Shores if your looking for a place to eat. It over priced and over hyped. Yep go and have a look but thats all I would recommend. Come to Balloch here you can take a boat trip round the Loch with Sweeny's cruises. There are nice eateries in the village. I'm not sure what kind of cuisine your looking for I can recommend the Indian and both Italians.(you would need to book the Italians)

If you want true Scottish fair then from Cameron House head right to the "Cruin" beautiful food all local produce you would need to book the Cruin. This is my favourite dish at the Cruin.

Poachers Venison

Tender medallions of Venison saddle, sitting atop a slice of Stornaway Black Pudding,

surrounded by a Red-currant Jus.

http://www.lascarpetta.co.uk/

www.cucinaballoch.com/cucina/location.php

http://www.thecruin.com/

http://www.goldenstar.uk.com/

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More Loch Lomand

If you want to explore, you've picked a really good central location to base yourself.

Cameron House has had some mixed reviews recently, and it is pricey, but the location is beautiful.

From Loch Lomond, head for Stirling. Stop at the Village Tearoom, Buchlyvie for a coffee and a cake or a bit of home baking!!! Yum.

Great view of Stirling Castle as you drive along the approach road. Visit the castle and Wallace Monument, lunch at the oldest pub in Stirling, The Settle Inn, perhaps, and then head for Callander. Nice village with good walks, little shops and loads of pubs!

From Callander, take the road to Aberfoyle, passing the Lake of Menteith and Inchmahome Priory.

From there you can head back to Loch Lomond.

This is a handy route planner site:

www.theaa.com

Other sites:

www.incallander.co.uk

www.instirling.co.uk

Hope this helps. Any questions, just ask.

Emelda

Glasgow
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More Loch Lomand

I have to agree with cathymac - don't go anywhere near Loch Lomond Shores and not just for food. It is a dump.

Best thing that could happen to it would be that is was flattened.

There are many nice places to eat in Glasgow - what sort of food would you be interested in?

Toronto
Level Contributor
94 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More Loch Lomand

I've heard that Scottish cooking has become quite fabulous lately, and I'm interested in checking it out. The recommendation for the Cruin sounds great, as does the oyster bar. 'Guys' is another restaurant we plan to visit.

Also, pub food. I understand it's going to be a wet weekend so I'd be happy to sit in a village pub after a soggy walk with something delicious and glass of wine. (We have pubs here of course, but they're all relatively new and look they were built from a 'Ye Olde Pub' kit.)

I'd be happy for other recommendations as well. Italian, as well as contemporary. How about a lively wine bar?

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More Loch Lomand

http://www.thedroversinn.co.uk/

The Drovers should be different to your locals in Toronto.

Cattle drovers used to drive their Highland cattle from the north to the markets in the south. Their roads and stopping places can be worth finding.

Scotland
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More Loch Lomand

Thanks for all the great restaurant links. Loch Lomond is one of my favorite day trips, but I've yet to find a really good place to eat. Looking forward to trying some of these!

Scotland
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More Loch Lomand

Oh, BTW, if you are in Glasgow, try the West End area for restuarants. I've never gone wrong eating in that area! Cafe Antipasti is a great place, especially for a good lunch! Ashton Lane area is really neat too- lots of good restaurants and cool atmosphere, really pretty at night.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More Loch Lomand

I was in Ashton Lane on Saturday night and "pretty" is not the word I would use to describe it. Loads of people milling about - well swaying about- and smoking, since you can't smoke indoors the whole area becomes one big smoking lounge. It was at half time in the football so there was probably a surge of folk out for a cancer stick while the pundits were going over the first half.

Brel was pleasant as they don't have a TV. Good selection of beers.

Nude was loud, as in too loud to have a conversation, and service was mediocre.

A 40 minute wait for a table at Ketchup but the staff were extremely pleasant and cheerful even if the food is no better than average. (The disadvantages of a spur of the moment night out with no restaurant booking)