We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

Hi, I will be in Glasgow for 1-night only. I already have a list of things to do during the day and am looking for a couple of recommendations for pubs and restaurants. I will be with my husband and we are in our early 30's...looking for something reasonably priced and low-key. Thanks for any suggestions!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

If you put 'pub' and (seperately) 'restaurant' into the searchbox above you'll find some potentially very useful recent threads.

For restaurant reviews and area/cuisine details one of the best sites is:

5pm.co.uk

and for restaurants and entertainment listings:

list.co.uk

There are some nice wee pubs and restaurants around the Byres Road/Ashton lane area of the west end. Merchant City is also a good spot.

To better advise, what are your pub/restaurant/eating preferences? eg fine dining, mongolian, italian, indian, scottish, real ales, tight budget, throw caution to the wind and spend....lol etc.

Glasgow
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

You don`t say where you are staying however most restaurants do what is called a `Pre Theatre` menu. This means you eat mostly before 7.00. You can just arrive and ask if the have a `pre theatre` menu. if they don`t, go to anther one. If you are in city centre, for Thai, go to Dragon Eye which is in Hope Street, opposite the theatre royal. Fantastic food and 2 courses with coffe and 1 large glass of wine for 2 people was £32. For Pub Grub, try the Monkey Bar in Bath Street, it is down stairs off the sidewalk, and go late afternoon, 2 meals for £7.95. Glasgow is the home of curry and the best place to go is the west end, Ashton Lane or Byres Road. Balbirs off Byres Road in Church Street is good as is The Spice of Life in Ashton Lane ( in the heart of the west end). Try and go there, it is a great place to sample Glasgow life with the cobbled lane and restaurants and pubs all together. The subway will take you from city centre to Hillhead (Byres Road) ask for a day return if travelling after 9am which i think is now about £1.95.You will be spoiled for choice, I can recommend the pre theatre in Cail Bruich which is a scottish restaurant on Gt Western Road, just round the corner from the junction with Byres Road. All the restuaruants i have mentioned do `pre theatre`.

I do hope you enjoy our city, shame you are only here for 1 day, there is so much to see and do.

Mirren

Glasgow
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

PS, stay away from Buchanan Street and Merchant City for eating unless you have pre booked on 5pm.com which is a great website as mentioned in a previous reply. I use it all the time and you just need to register and you will have a fantastic choice, menu`s and prices all on liine

Miren

Scotland
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

Yep, definitely book if you're heading out on a Fri/Sat for a restaurant. Thelist.co.uk is pretty good for reviews and gives contact no's.

GlasgowMirren's idea of heading over to Ashton Lane in the West End is something I'd definitely recommend too. You won't see any of our undesirable residents here and the cobbled street with fairy lights overhead at night give it a quite magical atmosphere when combined with the craic of the punters. For a great traditional scottish restaurant with a twist, try Stravaigin (stravaigin.com) which is still in the West End and not too far from Ashton Lane (it's sister restaurant, Stravaigin 2, which is just across from Ashton Lane has been considered by some as a bit too limited in choice, so go to the main one instead). Cheers

UK
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

For a great taste and atmosphere of Glasgow and Scotland head to Stravaigin on Gibson Street in Glasgow's West End.

It is both a traditional pub where you can experience the local beers as well as a restaurant serving traditional Scottish cuisine as well as the adopted Italian and Indian dishes.

The atmosphere and service are relaxed and informal.

Enjoy and Bon appetit!

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

Hi There

Try RAB HAS , just on the edge of the merchant city , Hutchieson Street , just off Glassford Street , taxi will know exactly where it is .

Lovely atmosphere in the pub/bar upstairs , wood paneled wall , log fire , choice of food "Scottish fair" , very nice . downstairs Restaurant , oustanding menu , good service , lovely , this is also a boutique hotel , stayed there once , good standard .

ENJOY YOUR 1 NIGHT ..... need to come back though ..... far to much to savour in one day

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

Dinos do great Italian food, they have acouple of restraunts in the city centre.

glasgow
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

Hi, The Bothy, in Ruthven Lane, has a great selection home cooked meals with a Scottish twist, and desserts to die for. The staff wear kilts. It is a quaint and friendly place and very reasonably priced. Then you could walk across the road to Ashton lane, which is adjacent, to soak up the atmosphere. Both are situated in the West End, off of Byres Road and just a minutes walk from Hillhead Underground Station. Which also has a taxi rank outside it should you need one later on. This end of town is a great location for photos at night. With lovely buildings, including the Art Galleries, the University, Ashton lane's fairy lights and outside cafes.

Hope you have a great day.

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
950 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

Hi lovemucha -

I agree with Caolilawell on Rob Has, I was there in march and it was cozy and comfortable. Great pub food and everyone was very friendly.

Have fun where ever you go!

Cari

10. Re: A night in Glasgow....Pubs/Restaurant Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2009, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow