We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow Airport - when to arrive

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow Airport - when to arrive

i have a Thursday afternoon flight on a small aircraft from Glasgow International to Islay. while my flight is fairly low-key, i also understand that this is a busy airport. if my flight is at 17:10, what time should i get to the airport?

i will be taking a train from Edinburgh, and then taking the bus from Queen Street Station to Glasgow International in time to go through security and check in for the flight, so i need to factor all this in and figure out when i need to leave Edinburgh that day.

so again, when should i get to the airport for a 17:10 Thursday flight...?

thanks,

.rich

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow Airport - when to arrive

Personally I always try and get into Glasgow Airport two hours before any flight, simply because its less stressful to have plenty of wiggle room in the event that there are problems with rush hour traffic, or some other unanticipated delay. Its not a huge airport, and while it can get busy its usually easy enough to find somewhere for a bite to eat or a place to sit down and read the newspaper while you wait. Just my thoughts.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,589 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow Airport - when to arrive

rich,

Your airline should give you a definitive answer. As a rule of thumb, security is understandably tight at Glasgow, but it now has a new facility which is usually fast. However, who knows how many people will turn up in front of you?

Most domestic flights I have taken recently have advised gates close about 30 minutes before departure,and to allow at least 30 minutes for checkin/security.

So, I generally try to arrive about an hour before takeoff, but, this is just me. Your flight might be different.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow Airport - when to arrive

Just for information,the airport bus stop is in North Hanover Street,outside a side entrance of the station.

As you leave the train turn left on the concourse,exit the station and the bus stop is across the road.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow Airport - when to arrive

Hi, the train from Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Queen St takes 50 mins, as Kenko says turn left on the Concourse and go out the side entrance past the taxi rank into Hanover St and cross the road to the side that the traffic is going downhill.

The Airport Flyer is every 10 mins and takes approx 20 mins and drops you off at the terminal entrance, I would aim to have left Edinburgh for no later than 1400 and you will be fine.

Should you be early then don't worry as Glasgow is an International airport which is well equiped to cater for all needs.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow Airport - when to arrive

thanks for the info, everyone! you went above and beyond, and it's really helpful.

it's very important that i not miss this flight; the Islay distillery tours are the highlight of my vacation. it's not worth missing my flight to eek out an extra few minutes in Edinburgh.

i'll make sure to leave a good buffer of time before and at the airport.

Slainte,

.rich

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow Airport - when to arrive

thanks again, everyone.

as it turned out, everything went like clockwork. had a last morning and a light lunch in Edinburgh, walked back to my B&B, cabbed to Waverly and caught a train to Glasgow 15 minutes earlier than i expected. got off the train, and the airport Flyer was just pulling up right there at the Queen Street stop. there was no line at Flybe at the airport, and security wasn't too bad. so, i actually got there a bit earlier than i needed to, but when it comes to airports, early is better than late. ;)

anyway, here are some photos of my trip for anyone interested... :)

http://islay2009.shutterfly.com/

take care,

.rich

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,589 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow Airport - when to arrive

Thanks for the feedback, rich. Useful.

Like the photos. Good idea to take a photo of the outside of the distillery. Makes it much easier to remember them later.

Wish I'd thought of that....

8. Re: Glasgow Airport - when to arrive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow