We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prestwick Airport to Buchanan Bus Station

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Prestwick Airport to Buchanan Bus Station

Hi there,

I am considering flying into Prestwick Airport one evening, staying overnight and then catching a bus from Buchanan Bus station the next morning.

Can anyone suggest cheap and cheerful accommodation for my overnight stay in a safe area that is convenient for both locations?

Will travelling between the two locations be problematic or is it easily done?

Thanks,

Kaz

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prestwick Airport to Buchanan Bus Station

There is a train station at Prestwick Airport and that is the easiest way to the city.

It takes about 45 mins to Glasgow Central station and you pay on the train.If you show a copy of your air booking you get a 50pc discount.

The city centre is compact and Buchanan Bus station is 7 or 8 mins walk from Central station.

Some suggested hotels-

Express by Holiday Inn,165 West Nile St.

Travelodge,5 Hill St.

Premier Inn,187 George St.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,984 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prestwick Airport to Buchanan Bus Station

You could also get the X77 bus from the bus stop alongside Prestwick Airport Railway Station which will take you right into Buchanan bus Station, though I prefer the train myself. Its a ten minute stroll to the bus station or you could jump on the hopper bus that takes passengers across to Queen Street Station as it stops en route at the bus station if you wanted to save your legs!

Not much difference timewise unless the bus has to contend with rush hour traffic. If you are travelling on a Sunday there is sometimes work on the rail line - then they may have a bus replacement service along the route in and out of Glasgow, in which case you just as well catch the X77 bus first as last. Train will be cheaper if you show your plane ticket.

Either way its a simple journey and less than an hour.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prestwick Airport to Buchanan Bus Station

There is also a bus service run by Stagecoach, X77 service which goes directly into Buchanan Bus station. It was £5 single when I used it in May this year, although the timetabled journey is longer the actual time to get to the Bus Station is just the same when you take into account the walking up from Central Station when taking the train.

You can find the timetable on www.stagecoachbus.com

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prestwick Airport to Buchanan Bus Station

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

After some more thought and research I've decided to fly to Glasgow International during the day and catch a coach from there.

Appreciate all the responses though.

Kaz

5. Re: Prestwick Airport to Buchanan Bus Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 06:17