We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City centre shopping...

newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
City centre shopping...

I am taking my partner to Glasgow next week and she wants to hit the shops !

Arriving at Central Station, are the best shopping streets close by and walkable ?

Is the main city centre compact and easy to get to get around ?

Any advice appreciated !

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City centre shopping...

Yes to all.

Head for the Gordon Street exit. turn right and keep walking and you will hit Buchanan Street, in a couple of minutes. At the top you will find Buchanan Galleries shopping centre. Plenty of shops on Buchanan Street itself and there is Princes Square and the Argyll Arcade

http://www.buchanangalleries.co.uk/

http://www.princessquare.co.uk/

http://www.argyll-arcade.com/

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City centre shopping...

Yes the city centre is compact and easily walkable.

Main shopping streets are Sauchiehall St,Buchanan St and Argyle St.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City centre shopping...

Hi kj

Glasgow was until recently the number 1 shopping destination outside of London, so make sure your credit limit can take it as she will be spoilt for choice!

As others have said the 3 main shoppping thoroughfares are all easily walkable and are collectively known as the Golden Z, as that is roughly the shape they take.

Glasgow City Centre is laid out in the American grid

system (think Manhattan) so you won't get lost.

For non mainstream shops try the Merchant City, just 5 minutes walk to the east, or hop on the subway to Hillhead (10 mins) for Byres Rd in the trendy West End. Either of these has a lot of trendy bars and restaurants to recharge your batteries and to let the plastic cool down.

By the way she must be a real shopaholic if she has exhausted the Metrocentre.

newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City centre shopping...

Ha ha she is... we actually live 1/2 mile from the metro centre !

If i wanted to visit Ibrox or Parkhead whilst she spends my money is that an easy thing to do ? Are there musuems in the grounds or organised tours ?

I have been to about 70 english grounds but none in Scotland so it would be interesting.

Being a toon fan we dont really need one as we never win anything....

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City centre shopping...

Ibrox is the easier to get to using the Clockwork Orange aka the Underground system.

Train from Buchanan Street to Ibrox.

Tour info here

…premiumtv.co.uk/page/Tours/0,,5,00.html

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City centre shopping...

You might enjoy the Scottish Football museum at Hampden Park

http://www.scottishfootballmuseum.org.uk/

Take the train from Central Station to Mount Florida.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City centre shopping...

Also check out the Hampden Stadium museum if you're interested in the footy!http://www.scottishfootballmuseum.org.uk/

The main shopping area in Glasgow is pedestrianised, a bit like in Newcastle, so very easy to find your way around.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City centre shopping...

Hi kj,

As above others have gave you Rangers and the national stadium at Hampden which houses the Scottish football museum, however nobody has mentioned Celtic which if you visit their website will give you details of organised tours including a chance to see the European Cup which they won in 1967. You can get a couple of buses to Parkhead so it is not that difficult (approx 15 mins)

You are aware of the rivalry between the two so unless you lean towards one or the other maybe Hampden is the best bet, despite leaning towards Celtic myself I have actualy only done the Rangers tour as part of a conference I attended at Ibrox and I was very impressed!

glasgow, uk
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: City centre shopping...

ibrox and hampden are the more impressive of the 3 in terms of facilities and in ibrox's case architecture (listed building). both these grounds are the the only 2 in scotland deemed worthy to stage european finals as they are 5 star stadiums. ibrox is your best bet as it is easily reached by subway to............ibrox.

also consider silverburn for shopping, 10-15 mins off the town centre but better than buchanan galleries. easily reached and quickly by taxi from ibrox.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: City centre shopping...

Since you are in the centre of town it is easier for your partner to shop in the "golden Z" than travel to an out of town shopping centre which has nothing that is not available in town anyway.

You could always visit Glasgows other team - Partick Thistle but not sure if they offer tours