We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

timeshare exchange

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
willamsburg
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
timeshare exchange

I own a Marriott timeshare in Palm Desert California and am planning on exchanging my week for a week in Scotland. I have never been to Scotland before but would like to know if anyone else can recommend a timeshare facility with full ammenities anywhere in Scotland that is any good.

glasgow
Level Contributor
406 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: timeshare exchange

hi

there are numerous timeshares in Scotland, can you give an indcation of where you would prefer to go? ie near a city or the highlands or lowlands? a few suggestions i can make to give you a start -

moness, aberfeldy

kilconquhar, fife

coylumbridge lodges, aviemore

dalfaber, aviemore

Lochanhully, near inverness

Cameron house, loch lomond

if you can let us know more specifically what you want from your trip we will try and help more :)

willamsburg
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: timeshare exchange

I really just started planning my trip for next year and have not researched the territory. But I would like to have a home base that is in a decent driving distance to the airport and close to the coast. Please excuse my lack of knowledge at this time of Scotland.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: timeshare exchange

Hi Randel,

I will leave the timeshare aspect to Jen as she probably knows more than me.

Regarding the distances Scotland is densely populated in a small area in the central belt but has vast areas of sparse population namely the Highlands and Islands.

To give you an idea of what I mean the largest city is Glasgow (approx 550,000) and around 2 million out of a population of 5 million live within a 30 mile radius of it.

The second largest is the Capital Edinburgh (approx 325,000), and a around 1 million will live within a 20 mile radius of there, the distance between Glasgow and Edinburgh is only 45 miles so you can see what I mean by the central belt. Other cities of note are Dundee, Aberdeen, Perth and Inverness with approx 750,000 between them.

Both have International Airports approx 50 miles apart.

As for the coast it is a fact that in Britain as a whole you are never anymore than 72 miles from the sea.

During your planning do not hesitate to post on here and ask questions and we will try and help you make the most of your visit.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,589 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: timeshare exchange

Another couple of places are the famous Gleneagles Hotel - the sort of place that George W Bush stays at when he was attending summits; and the less-well known Auchrannie Hotel and Spa, on the island of Arran.

Arran is known as "Scotland in Miniature", and is quite convenient for Glasgow airport. The ferry takes about an hour, then its about a 30 minute drive.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: timeshare exchange

Hi Randel,

No disrepect to Peter or the very scenic Arran, but for an extended stay in Scotland it would not be ideal as a base, certainly worth a visit for a day or two.

When Peter described it as a miniature Scotland then this is in the sense it looks like Scotland geographicaly, rolling fertile hills in the south and high mountain peaks in the north. It is only 20 miles long by 10 miles wide with a population of 5000.

It is a 1 hour ferry ride from Ardrossan which in turn is a 1 hour train from Glasgow which is a 50 min train from Edinburgh, so therefore not ideal as a base.

willamsburg
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: timeshare exchange

Thank you for your input. I will keep in touch with more questions.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,589 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: timeshare exchange

Ooops - didn't pick up the 'base' requirement.

In that case, I think somewhere like Cameron House might be hard to beat - 40 minutes easy drive from Glasgow Airport; in the Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park; overlooking one of the best lochs oin Scotland; only 15 minutes from several coasts...

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: timeshare exchange

We've stayed at Cameron House; it's very nice, and I think it would meet your needs. You might post on www.tug2.net (timeshare users group, and free) and on www.timeshareforum.com (another timeshare group and free). Members of both groups travel extensively, and they are friendly. They can give you a lot of specific information about the timeshares in Scotland.

9. Re: timeshare exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 06:24
Get answers to your questions about Glasgow