We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central station to Cathedral

Bel
London, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Central station to Cathedral

Hi

Could someone point me in the right direction to find out best way to get from central station to the Cathedral/Museum of Religion? I'l have 3 children with me - is there one bus or would a taxi be better? Any idea on fares? Is there an online bus guide or something like tfl.gov in London? Sorry if this is easily available somewhere but my internet access is shaky here and I can't do much searching...

Thanks!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central station to Cathedral

You can take a 38 bus from Hope St at Central Station to the Royal Infirmary which is next door to the Cathedral.

You can buy all-day and return tickets from the driver which cuts the cost.Remember you need to insert the exact fare,no change given.

A taxi will take about 10 minutes.On the way back it's downhill and walkable in about 25 minutes.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central station to Cathedral

Hi

Buses 12,38 and 56 all depart from Hope St to the left hand side exit as you come off the train at Central Station for Glasgow Cathedral/Museum. the fare is around a pound for an adult and will only take approx 10mins if traffic is not to bad.

A taxi might be a better option and would cost around £4.50. take the taxi from the front entrance of Central on Gordon Street, directly facing as you come off the train. Firstbus is the operator.

As KENKO says, why not consider the walk back down the hill that way you can take in George Sqaure and the City Chambers, the Gallery of Modern Art is also close by, this will only take approx 10 min to walk from there as the buses follow one way streets so you are just as quick walking in a diagonal direction and seeing other sites as well.

Why not tell us where you are staying and how long for and we can give you more ideas, for instance the kids will love the Transport Museum and like all Glasgow museums they are free.

Bel
London, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central station to Cathedral

Thanks, that great. We're going tomorrow and I think I'll get a taxi there and walk back. I'm staying with relatives outside Glasgow and only have one day in the city. Went to the Museum of Religion when it first opened and children are interested in that kind of thing so we'll give it a go. People's Palace was a big hit last year but I suspect they'd think themselves too grown up for transport museum - they turn their noses up at London transport muesum at the moment...

Thanks for prompt replies.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central station to Cathedral

no problem, i have also been to London Transport Museum, seemed to be every second exhibit was a London Bus! ours is much more varied, enjoy your trip.

Bel
London, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central station to Cathedral

A quick report back - we got a taxi from the station to the cathedral which cost £4.20. Walked back - downhill and took about 20 minutes or so. We had a shortish visit to the cathedral and a longer one to the museum which we all enjoyed and thought was interesting. Nice, very reasonably priced cafe too. There were great views of the necropolis from outside the cathedral and from the museum - I picked up a leaflet about walks round it but we didn't do it this time. Police box/tardis near cathedral was an added bonus to Dr Who fans!!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central station to Cathedral

Hi Bel, glad you enjoyed your trip.

7. Re: Central station to Cathedral

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 08:16